Winter Storm Incoming

We had a similar storm this past weekend, wind, lots of snow, a few mornings at or below -F. The girls did fine. Windows into the covered protected run are left open 365 days per year. The more ventilation the better. Our run got some snow. No snow got in the coop.
It is -2F when this picture was taken.

Attachments

• 1643801703212.png
    1643801703212.png
    578.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 1643801798838.png
    1643801798838.png
    525.5 KB · Views: 3
We are in the same storm.

I would NOT close the windows since that is your only ventilation.
Adding a sheet in single layer can keep snow out but will also decrease airflow.

As already mentioned you don't want wind strong enough to ruffle feathers hitting them while they roost.

Pics of your set up can be very helpful in getting suggestions for your specific coop needs.

I have had chickens many years now. Even at -16° F they do fine as long as there is adequate ventilation and thawed water.

We are in the same storm.

I would NOT close the windows since that is your only ventilation.
Adding a sheet in single layer can keep snow out but will also decrease airflow.

As already mentioned you don't want wind strong enough to ruffle feathers hitting them while they roost.

Pics of your set up can be very helpful in getting suggestions for your specific coop needs.

I have had chickens many years now. Even at -16° F they do fine as long as there is adequate ventilation and thawed water.
Here is my setup:
82EC6FEF-FE76-476F-8B81-B2EE61A5FACC.jpeg
B9352D86-7EF2-4FC6-A3B1-F380F26624C6.jpeg

Note: These are from yesterday whilst it was raining. I am going out to scoop snow.

Last edited:
Like others have said,I wouldn't worry about the cold. Mine did just fine at -10 last year during our texas snowstorm. We are getting another term today and will be -5. I've covered my opening on the 2 sides to keep the snow from blowing on them but have kept 2 other parts open as they're covered with a metal roof. No heat needed. I loaded the coops with hay and if they get too cold they'll snuggle down in there.

I lived in Northern Illinois for years. Never had heat in the coop/shed, did have lots of ventilation. A few years ago we had temps at -20F for days, yes negative. Windchills were unbelievable. When I went outside I got frost on my eyelashes immediatly. The birds did just fine. Not happy maybe, they like to get out, but just fine.

Liquid water to drink is also very important. If you don't have heated waterers just go out and refill the water several times a day.

I totally agree with all those above you don't want to decrease ventilation. Several folks had great ideas to cut down on direct wind.

Some people say putting petroleum jelly on the combs will help avoid frostbite on the tips. I've never tried it, I think my birds would have bedding covered combs in about 15 minutes. :lol: Hmm, maybe it's the bedding coating that helps. The combs on your birds look like they will withstand the cold just fine.

Don't do heat too dangerous. I live in SW NEB. We have -6 right now. With thick bedding it's 21 in coop right now. Keep them dry they don't mind cold as they wear down coats all the time. Heated waterers help for sure. Good job on warm food on these days!
Where I used to live it’s about -25, so it can always be better!!! Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom