winter

bigmac03

Chirping
Jul 6, 2014
OK,
MY REDSTARS ARE 20 WEEKS OLD AND HAVE A CEDAR COOP. MY QUESTION IS DO I NEED HEAT IN THE COOP OR WILL THEYPRODUCE ENOUGH?

Ya i guess you right lol. I live in north east mississippi there house is 6x6 and i have 10 redstars.

Down in SE Texas. At what temp do I need to turn on the warmers for chickens/ducks? This cold front next week is worth watching for us. 40' × 40' yard with 18' × 8' coup.

bigmac03 - With 10 grown chickens in a 6x6 house with good ventilation and able to stay out of the wind and stay dry, they will be fine all winter.

Ok thanks i wasnt sure since we have a "ARTIC BLAST COMING" lol next week but thanks

Ok thanks i wasnt sure since we have a "ARTIC BLAST COMING" lol next week but thanks

I live in upstate NY and it can get below zero here. I only have eight chickens, nine counting the roo, in a 8'x16' coop, they will be fine. Maybe they would need heat if they were little silkies, I heard they dont do good in cold.

Last edited:
Yes I agree. Your hens will be fine. Here in Tennessee, it's not uncommon for the temps to drop below 0F. I keep my Chickens and Ducks in semi open coops and they do just fine, so don't worry.

Back
Top Bottom