Wintering Chickens, Not good for us this year.

From everything you have typed in...... I would guess that they aren't getting enough food. It is amazing how much more they eat in the winter.

I greatly recommend feeding free choice.

If you have a big rodent or whatever problem, then put out the food first thing in the morning and take it away every night.

With temperatures that low, some extra meat and fat is good. Mine get my bacon fat, they love it.

Not sure if light is a problem.... My chickens are in a very dark shed, they CAN go outside if they want to, and their water is outside, so they do have to go outside to get the water, but I only very rarely see them outside. Point being, my chickens do go run out and see dim sunshine, but only in very tiny amounts.

I do think that being locked up all of the time is bad simply because most coops don't have enough airflow. Ventilation is so very important.

If you have no run at all for them, there is the problem that if you let them out, that something will eat them. I would get 7 or so free pallets, lash or nail them together to make a small secure run, and give them access to that during the day.

Don't forget to trade out the plywood that you have on top of the chicken tubs with something breathable like net or fence.

I agree with everyone on the food. My birds also try hard to stay in during snowy weather til they push themselves out. Then they run back in. It has plenty of windows but isn't bright by any means. I have a five gallon feeder which I give them gamebird and turkey grower free choice. I use deep litter and dump cracked corn all over the floor when it's real cold. Plus all leftovers and kitchen scraps. I notice that just before the temp drops they go through feed like they were elephants. I give them fresh hot water once or twice a day. The windchill was -30 the other day and it didn't seem to phase them a bit. (I watched them from the warmth of the house because it sure phased me a lot!) hopefully your problem is just that simple.

This is my first winter with birds as well, but I have not had a problem. I live in northern Michigan, which is similar to MN in winter(not quite as cold because of the GLs). My birds are fed and watered 3-4x a day. I give them standard crumble, seeds, oatmeal, cracked corn, bread and spinach. They've done very well, including two moulting birds.

We've had base temps close to -30, and colder windchills. I provide dry pine shavings, and have light insulation. When they mat their shavings down or accumulate excessive droppings, I change them. I pay close attention to their behavior and mood. I also talk and interact a lot with them, that way they trust me and I can notice possible problems.

Live on the New Hampshire Canadian border where it gets cold in the winter. Plenty of food and water is a must. I keep feed before my birds at all times summer and winter. In the cold weather I make sure the protein is as high as possible. Roosters are always a problem and unless you want to hatch some eggs I say get rid of them. Also try a cold weather bird. I have real good luck with Chanteclers. Their coop is not insulated or heated and has good ventilation which is very important. Most nights here are -20 this time of the year and I have no problems. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I never thought of using pallets as a fence. great idea! I think that is what I will have to do.

Now to find some free pallets...

The roos were quarantined for at least a week before I released them out with the hens. They are both brothers and both seemed to be very healthy birds. Didn't loose any of the hens until after winter started. I do realize that the rooster to hen ratio was off, and that I should have left the spangled looking one for the lady to process (she is basically like a next door neighbor to me). But he was so pretty.
I am sure that this spring or fall, I will be processing the boys. I would like to try and raise chicks eventually, but I need to get what hens I have left through the winter first.

With all this support, I feel like I can handle it again. I just need to sit back and think. LOTS of Food, Lots of water and get a run built for them.

I'm with rottnwarrior in that I've increased the protein content of their food. We got very cold here in Colorado, into the minuses and an inversion, and I mix a half and half mixture of Flock Raiser (20% protein) and Game Bird (30% protein) and it seemed to make a huge difference in their energy. They sat in their coop for a week before I got the Game Bird. I also give them scrambled eggs, meat and nuts, it's just that this feeding method consistently gives them more protein.

Check your coop ventilation because with the chicks spending so much time confined I would have a concern about bad air. To check the air take a good sniff of their coop air right as you open the door in the morning. If there's an ammonia smell you have bad air and need more ventilation.

If possible, can you clear a small 'playground' for them to access? They can handle the cold but may not want to get snow on their feet. I have a bale of straw that I'll throw down for them to walk on.

Good Luck, Mary

I'm also wondering how you are faring.I'm in Michigan and it doesn't usually get as cold here as where you are, this winter has been awful. First a disclaimer. I don't keep chickens for food, yes I, my animals, and the wild coons enjoy their eggs, but when they quit laying to the point that I don't get enough I just get a few chicks to add to the egg production. I basically just like having them around. That said I have a few thoughts you might find helpful.
1. In the winter, its not protein per say that they need extra of, its fat and calories they need extra to keep warm.
2. If you do it safely, a heat lamp is very helpful. Put it over a sheltered corner, a place for them to go if they get chilled and temporarily need the extra heat , this can make a difference between life or death for a chicken that for whatever reason has gotten chilled. They won't stay under it unless they need the help, and it won't heat up the coop enough to cause problems in case of electricity loss.
3. I have never had chickens that wouldn't return to their coop to roost, other fowl yes but not chickens= if they don't they have a good reason not to, check out the coop. Leaving a light on for an hour or so will encourage them, but usually they go to coop well before dark.
4. If you posted a picture of your coop, I couldn't access it but generally speaking, floor ventilation isn't a good idea. It makes it harder for them to keep warm, ventilation overhead is much better, high enough so there is no "breeze" on them even when roosting. That said, in 3 of my coops the pop door is always open and doesn't seem to cause problems, and in one of those 3 my birds have yet to roost in the coop- they still roost in the run, which I have put tarps on the N & W side for protection.
5. In the winter, in addition to their regular food I free feed scratch or cracked corn and oil sunflower seed. The wild birds and bunnies eat the extras and it helps them as well.
I hope this helps and your luck has changed. Think spring.

Live on the New Hampshire Canadian border where it gets cold in the winter. Plenty of food and water is a must. I keep feed before my birds at all times summer and winter. In the cold weather I make sure the protein is as high as possible. Roosters are always a problem and unless you want to hatch some eggs I say get rid of them. Also try a cold weather bird. I have real good luck with Chanteclers. Their coop is not insulated or heated and has good ventilation which is very important. Most nights here are -20 this time of the year and I have no problems. Good luck!
Plenty of food is the answer !!! and water. I do warm/hot water 2 x per day plus reduced greens from grocery. They eat flock raiser, plenty of BOSS & corn, and house scraps. had to butcher an egg eater a week ago and you wouldn't believe the fat accumulation on /inside the hen. I started fattening my flock back in early NOV. We have had a hard winter here in Maine. I have not lost a member of my 22 flock. Their coop is uninsulated, no heat, no lights. They go outside everyday! I placed shavings & hay on the pathways to encourage them outside. MY FEED BILL HAS DOUBLED! But we get eggs every day. I raise Wyandotte's.

Back
Top Bottom