Winterizing Coop and Enclosure Tips

I'm pretty lucky in the winter in that I'm in zone 7 but come summer, I'm in friggin' zone 7 and the thermometer pegs in the triple digits (°f) for months. 🥵When we built the house for our large dogs a couple years ago, we insulated it with r13 between the studs. The pups enjoy the cool refuge but come autumn through late spring, they don't go in it but hang out on the roof a lot. I did move the nest boxes for the (3) hens in there and threw down a pine shaving and straw mixture on the concrete floor for the (3) ducks. Honestly, however, the ducks, so far, prefer sleeping in the oversized (48 x 32") crate on the ground. 🤷‍♂️

Yes, I use a 25’ 12/3 and a 50’ 12/3…industrial cords…I’m an electrician….works fine…just elevate or seal the connection to prevent tripping the GFCI outlet…never had a problem
are you going to use an extension cord with them
I think the reason they say not to use an extension is because a lot of people might let the connection lay on the ground, and if any moisture gets near it, it trips the GFCI….then people think it’s broken….I’ve used for two winters now with extension’s because my coops are out in the yard…love those bowls

Yes, I use a 25’ 12/3 and a 50’ 12/3…industrial cords…I’m an electrician….works fine…just elevate or seal the connection to prevent tripping the GFCI outlet…never had a problem
are you going to use an extension cord with them
Actually the kiddie pool which is about 5’ wide and 8” deep was frozen completely solid last month one night, but the water in the bowls was still liquid, so perfect for me

I use foam core, love it. But chickens do too. Have to cover it but you can get creative, doesn't have to be plywood, even an old sheet would work... So what did you wind up using for insulation??

insulation.PNG

We have only had 2 relatively cold
Snaps so far, for those the girls were in the garage overnight for a day or two.

I ended up not insulating with foam, but using lots of straw and putting in a sterlite container on its side stuffed with straw. That and wind blocking thick greenhouse plastic sheeting affixed around the run enclosure on the bottom. So far they seem to be doing okay.
Well most likely install plywood to the inside walls to allow us to add foam board next winter though. 😊

Back
Top Bottom