Winterizing Coop and Enclosure Tips

Ronnie_

Chirping
Mar 1, 2023
Hi all,
After of first hard frost in zone 6B I’m adding some items to help winterize. Has anyone used foam board insulation inside coops before?
My duck house is constructed of OSB walls and 2x4 framing. I was thinking of attaching (mostly screwing into fames) foam boards to help keep in the heat this winter on the inside walls. But don’t know if the ducks will try to eat it or mess it up. Has anyone used something similar (photo attached) or have other tips?

Also I was think of adding corrugated PVC roofing panels to the enclosure sides as a wind block but they are ungodly expensive at 20$ per 2’x 8’ section and we have a large run- so any recommendations for that would be so appreciated!

Attachments

• 1B6A442E-E752-49C5-A6EE-A4B0CD6D313A.jpeg
    1B6A442E-E752-49C5-A6EE-A4B0CD6D313A.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 70
Hi all,
After of first hard frost in zone 6B I’m adding some items to help winterize. Has anyone used foam board insulation inside coops before?
My duck house is constructed of OSB walls and 2x4 framing. I was thinking of attaching (mostly screwing into fames) foam boards to help keep in the heat this winter on the inside walls. But don’t know if the ducks will try to eat it or mess it up. Has anyone used something similar (photo attached) or have other tips?

Also I was think of adding corrugated PVC roofing panels to the enclosure sides as a wind block but they are ungodly expensive at 20$ per 2’x 8’ section and we have a large run- so any recommendations for that would be so appreciated!
We cover our open "windows" with plexiglass. We added weather stripping around the edges & screw into the framing. This is our 3rd year using the same plexiglass. I've seen people use shower curtains, feed bags & tarps. If you have a restore type place that sells second hand stuff at a discount or an overstock warehouse you may be able to find items cheaper. We got our plexiglass at an overstock warehouse. I have a friend who used old windows for her run & she can open & shut them as needed. It's a lot of windows but you can get them cheap or free.

Hi all,

we just added 6x10 clear tarps around our kennel for our ducks. we only got 2 clear one on the sides of the kennel that get hit with the most wind. the other 2 sides are not covered. one side is against the house and the 4th side is against some trees. we are waiting to see how the next couple days are before we get more tarps. we are most likely going to tarp all sides, leaving some space at top for moisture to escape. we also added a pallet for (plan to add more) for them to get their feet off the ground and we are also going to put their food and water up on a pallet. in our coop we have pine shaving and straw for warmth. we have 3 ducks and they seem to come out of the coop warm every morning when we let them out

Hi all,

Yes I used those kind of foam boards and YES the ducks try to eat them. I had to cover over all the edges and seams with other things so they cant eat the foam

Hi all,

I have foam insulation in the walls of my coop. But, it is sandwiched between the outside boards and plywood on the inside. I found out the hard way that they will eat styrofoam. So, I fear they would eat this too.
I use clear heavy plastic (from the paint section of the hardware store) on my run to prevent wind. It is much cheaper than the roofing panels but does need to be replaced each year.

I have foam insulation in the walls of my coop. But, it is sandwiched between the outside boards and plywood on the inside. I found out the hard way that they will eat styrofoam. So, I fear they would eat this too.
I use clear heavy plastic (from the paint section of the hardware store) on my run to prevent wind. It is much cheaper than the roofing panels but does need to be replaced each year.
I love the clear heavy plastic I use it too

Any recommendations for what I could put into the coop to insulate? They will be able to have access to whatever I put in due to how my duck house is

I also live in 6b and last winter hit record lows. My coop is an uninsulated solid wood garage addition with single pane glass windows, and the coop bird door open all day. Pine shavings with straw added for snuggling in really cold snaps. The birds choose go out all day, every day. On extra cold days they just huddle under a fir tree with their feet pulled up. They don't trek across the snow.

There was some white panel (like drywall) insulation I didn't notice but the birds did. It's torn at the edges with anything in beak reach gone. Same for any styrofoam they cross. I'd not risk it unless you can fully cover it.

Fyi: the straw is lighter and easier to clear out when it thaws.

Any recommendations for what I could put into the coop to insulate? They will be able to have access to whatever I put in due to how my duck house is
You could use the foam but cover it with plywood, mesh, or screening wherever they can reach it. Or, maybe wrap the foam in heavy plastic with duct tape so they can’t eat it?! My plywood, in front of the foam, is just held in between the 2x4s with a few screws so it mostly floats. That way I can remove the insulation in the summer if I want.
Straw, hay, cardboard, old carpet or old blankets would also all provide insulation but might get rather yucky unless it also is covered. 🤷‍♀️
This is mine without it’s ceiling. The foam is behind the whitewashed plywood.
B2A16B80-94E7-494B-8E08-D2250BB6914A.jpeg

My coop is insulated with foam board, but as several others here mentioned it is covered entirely with plywood so ducks can't eat it.

I've also made a little cave by covering an old garden chair with straw, that creates a smaller space within the coop that's faster for them to warm, and I saw them sometimes huddle in there on colder days.

Back
Top Bottom