winterizing ideas on the cheap. pictures

TOP KNOT

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
SHERIDAN IL
Wind is always a problem, and we all have feed sacks! I decided rather than buying a light colored tarp that will get trashed over the winter. I would utilize these old translucent feed bags. They are sturdy weaved material. I cut the bottoms off slit the sides open and made a sheet. Perfect! So far I started to cover the run doors on the west side (the windy side) used a manual staple gun. If the staples pull through( probably wont, as I tried to pull one off in it protested) I will tack small boards over the edges. I am going to attempt sewing some together for the larger span of wire wall area for that side and just around the corner. The back and other side have better protection from pole barn so I will probably leave that open.

I also bought some heated dog bowls for water. I am hoping they do the trick. Anyone else have some easy on the pocket book ideas for winter? I thought a hog water tank with the side drinker hole would be good for a large # of chickens. Drop a tank heater in it and good to go. It would last years.

Last edited:
We use heave plastic sheeting and lathe (sp?). And screw it on over the chicken wire. Works really well to keep the wind and snow out, but let's in light and solar heat. I use a heated dog bowl for water in the coop, easy to dump and refill daily. Other wise my girls love to eat/ drink snow.

I wrap my run with clear vinyl shower curtains. Lets the birds see out but keep the wind and snow out of the run. I picked them up at a dollar store for $4 each.

Back
Top Bottom