wire bottom in run or chicken tractor?

pueawjapygrta

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 28, 2007
is it feasable to put cage wire across the bottom of a chicken tractor or in the run to keep the chickens from completely destroying the grass beneath them? The chickens are heavy breeds for eggs, and cornish types for meat.

I am doing it right now in the tractor that I am building. It is more for the fact that I have a dog that runs the property and other wildlife that I dont want to get my birds.
cool.png

In no way do I have any experience with tractors other than my wish plan to make one, but one question comes to mind:
When you go to move it, wouldn't it be possible for the chicken's toes to get caught in the mesh as it slides along the ground?
tongue.png

Otherwise, I think it would sound like a good idea to put a wire bottom in....but again,...what do I know? (not a whole lot!!!
lol.png
)

well- it seems you'd be taking away the joy of scratching about.....

One way to keep them from destroying your lawn is to move them daily....or at least at the point where the lawn isn't destroyed already.

Just a thought
Sandra

my goal is to lesson the impact of scratching. i'd be moving it every day or so anyways, is the wire bottom overkill?

If you are moving it every day then I would tend to say that the wire bottom is overkill. However, I would think that over the winter, when the grass doesn't grow, you would be better off just sacrificing a small part of your lawn to the chicken gods and reseeding it in the spring
wink.png

I am using the one inch chicken wire on the bottom. That is the same thing that I am running around the sides. It is still time consuming to get near completion. At least the brooder is ready for this Monday when the new ones get here.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom