Wire prices? And other new coop stuff

ShrekDawg

Chicken Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Okay so we're hopefully building a new coop and run soon, which the chickens desperately need, just need the money, and right now I want to build a 4x8 coop and put it about 2 feet off the ground then have an 8x50 or so foot run attached (maybe closer to 52-54 or up to 60). But my mom doesn't think 4x8 is big enough and though my dad previously thought it was too big, we're now considering either making it more a shed style and/or bigger, closer to 8x8 or 8x12, or just buying a shed kit or an installed shed. My dad likes the plastic ones and they are fairly cheap but I'm not sure. My mom doesn't even want us building one. She thinks we won't have time and it just won't turn out well/that my dad would mess it up and thinks we should just buy a shed. I think it would be a fun project and we cant find ways to make it cheaper. ANYHOW. Even if we made it cheaply, I still doubt we could build an equivalent size one for the same price as a plastic shed. I worry about ventilation or germs on the plastic though.

But anyhow, I haven't told them yet but I have been doing my own research on hardware cloth and so far I think these are the best prices I have found. I have also recently heard of looking on my pet chicken which is interesting because I didn't even know MPC had hardware cloth! So will look there. And lookat hardware stores and ensure it's not cheaper there.

Anyhow, I've found these and am thinking of getting the second one but that'll add up :( I wanna get 3 of them. Surely theres gotta be a better price?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000..._1_2?colid=2PTMX313RM103&coliid=IDG06OBFMZI0S

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...olid=2PTMX313RM103&coliid=I2I6JO5XUS420Z&vs=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001...olid=2PTMX313RM103&coliid=I27ZDWKXRUVYYT&vs=1

I ended up purchasing it off Amazon last summer. I couldn't find a cheaper price... looked at Lowe's, Home Depot, Tractor Supply. It's expensive that's for sure.
barnie.gif

I can't find the pricing online, but call your local North 40 (if there's one around there). I was just astounded with how cheap they are here. I got a 25' roll for $6 or $7

Oh, and I got hardware cloth from a hardware store nearby for my quail pen at less than a dollar a foot. (True Value hardware).
Just an idea.

Thank you both for your help!! I think a similar thing came up in another thread and someone got theres from midland hardware and i went on their website (since they ship too) and calculated it and even with shipping it wound up being about $10 less than Amazon soo i think I will check the local stores and see if theres a tru value or anything near here, dont think we have north 40, and if i cant find it cheaper locally i may buy it online. I just really dont wanna spend almost $300 :/

Thank you both for your help!! I think a similar thing came up in another thread and someone got theres from midland hardware and i went on their website (since they ship too) and calculated it and even with shipping it wound up being about $10 less than Amazon soo i think I will check the local stores and see if theres a tru value or anything near here, dont think we have north 40, and if i cant find it cheaper locally i may buy it online. I just really dont wanna spend almost $300
hmm.png
Can't blame ya there. Always worth looking through craigslist and setting up an alert under the free section to alert you through email anytime the word "fencing" comes up. That's how I scored about 50' of chicken wire, and 40' of pig wire fencing about 2 weeks ago.

Can't blame ya there. Always worth looking through craigslist and setting up an alert under the free section to alert you through email anytime the word "fencing" comes up. That's how I scored about 50' of chicken wire, and 40' of pig wire fencing about 2 weeks ago.

Yeah, I just wish everything was less expensive :/ but if I can't find it cheaply I may just build it with welded wire and just run the HC 2 feet up the sides but I had wanted to build the whole run with HC. We'll see. And oh thats a good idea! I hadn't thought of that! May have to try that

Back
Top Bottom