Wishard Strain of the Unimproved Standard Bronze

foulweather

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 30, 2012
Whidbey Island, Washington
Has anyone had any experience with this breed of Turkey? I used to buy them frozen from my meat supplier for Thanksgiving and they are the most flavorful turkey I have eaten anywhere. She stopped raising them to focus on something else after a family issue so I asked her what kind they were. She said not sure if I could get the Wishard Strain anymore but she thought the Unimproved Standard Bronze was still available.
Thoughts anyone?

That so-called Wishard strain was good at one time, in it's day, but they have been kept pure by very few sources. Most that I've seen that were claimed to be Wishard were unimpressive to say the least. It's just one of those terms that has hung on, that used to mean quality, but which now is only referred to by novices without much experience, and by those who are trying to sell them something, trying to make it out to be special, when it is not. Technically, all non BB Bronze are "unimproved Standard Bronze", whatever that term is supposed to mean.

We purchased some "Wishard" Standard Bronze Turkeys from Sand Hill Preservation center three years ago and have since been breeding our own replacement stock each year, selecting for hardiness and good growth. I'm not sure how pure "Wishard" the Sand Hill stock is, and the original birds we got from them didn't grow very impressively, but I think they held the genetic potential because we're seeing improvements in growth already. The birds are doing very well in our "natural" management setting. The turkeys roost in pine trees, have no formal shelter, free range on open pasture, and forage for a good percentage of their diet. We have not used any antibiotics on them, ever. They breed naturally and we have had good fertility. We just went through Hurricane Sandy and I was worried about the turkeys being in the heavy rain, and VERY cold, strong winds, but they came through it just fine. They're tough as nails, and the best turkey we've ever tasted.

We purchased some "Wishard" Standard Bronze Turkeys from Sand Hill Preservation center three years ago and have since been breeding our own replacement stock each year, selecting for hardiness and good growth. I'm not sure how pure "Wishard" the Sand Hill stock is, and the original birds we got from them didn't grow very impressively, but I think they held the genetic potential because we're seeing improvements in growth already. The birds are doing very well in our "natural" management setting. The turkeys roost in pine trees, have no formal shelter, free range on open pasture, and forage for a good percentage of their diet. We have not used any antibiotics on them, ever. They breed naturally and we have had good fertility. We just went through Hurricane Sandy and I was worried about the turkeys being in the heavy rain, and VERY cold, strong winds, but they came through it just fine. They're tough as nails, and the best turkey we've ever tasted.
Are you line breeding or ?

Back
Top Bottom