Wobbly female squab with liquid coming from mouth

SweetJoy7

Chirping
6 Years
May 22, 2013
Hello! We have some baby pigeons and one of them is acting very sleepy and a white fluid is coming from her mouth as she sleeps. The past few days she was very energetic but now she always has her eyes closed and is lying down. She seems to not have good balance whereas she did before. She is getting fed with a cornmeal/oat soup. Please help! Very urgent!!!!

I have the same problem with a baby Mourning dove that I found a week ago, she's all sleepy and doesn't have any balance when she walks. I tried to feed her chicks feed starter and now she's on bird seed and Milet.

Please tell me what to do!!

I know with chickens it could be sour or impacted crop. In the morning before they eat or drink anything, feel their crop to see if its still full. It should be empty. Now this is with chickens and I'm a rookie myself. @casportpony can probably help.

Hold off of feeding it until its crop empties completely.

If the crop is not draining it is that which is the problem...

Why are you hand feeding these pigeons? What happened to their parents?

Baby pigeon need the pigeon milk from their parents to be healthy and thrive.. without it the usually die or are sick and stunted in growth.

Are you sure that feed your are giving them is OK for pigeons? I make my own from chicken chick crumbs.. and they do really well on it.

Also make sure the mix is not too dry or too watery.. should be like a thick paste. And make sure its not too hot when you feed it, or it will burn the inside of the crop.

Lastly, how are you keeping the birds warm? Do they have heat pads or a light.. and are they living together or separate?

Back
Top Bottom