Wobbly hen

henney penny

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Northern Maine
My friend has a showgirl hen that is very wobbly on her legs.She was fine,layed an egg went into her box came out and was really wobbly.She eats, drinks and otherwise seems fine.Been going on 3 days.She has good feed and but and electrolytes in the water everyday.No bugs,clean coop outside a little.Any ideas why or what to do?

My friend has a showgirl hen that is very wobbly on her legs.She was fine,layed an egg went into her box came out and was really wobbly.She eats, drinks and otherwise seems fine.Been going on 3 days.She has good feed and but and electrolytes in the water everyday.No bugs,clean coop outside a little.Any ideas why or what to do?
How old is she?
She did lay an egg right?
Any chance she was pecked on the head by another chicken?

She is 3 and yes she did lay the egg.I did ask if she could have been pecked on the head and she said she didn't think so
I would check her for bloat/swelling or fluid in the abdomen, the crop should empty overnight, look again for lice/mites, check ears for any infection or debris.

Sometimes it's just hard to know what's going on with a hen - reproductive problems are always something to consider, ime. A fecal float to check for worms.
I would keep her hydrated and eating, see how she does.

Back
Top Bottom