Wolfhounds

No. I use one rescue mutt and one Bernese Mountain dog. They don't have to do much to control coyotes. They just need to be present and the coyotes stay away.

Many years ago I had a beautiful, elegant Borzoi and during that time coyotes stayed clear of the property. They're not real barkers, just fast as lightening and would be on top of a coyote before the coyote knew what hit them. Very nice animals, but I'd rather my dogs not make physical contact with coyotes.

Knock on wood, I have never had an issue with coyotes although the local paper said other day that the coyote population is growing..and despite what ppl. have done over the years, it seems to be steadily climbing...but I would think an Irish Wolfhound would be a major deterrent.

The only Wolfhound I have ever had contact with was a wuss ! A coyote would have caused her major alarm
lau.gif

However, I am sure she is not the normal individual for this breed. We have coy-dogs in our neck of the woods. So, we have to be careful with cats and small dogs in our neighborhood.

I don't know about Wolf Hound's but grandpa use to run grey hounds. he had a pair Chief and Comanche. Comanche was the female and smaller and faster, she would catch the coyote and trip him, then chief would come in for the kill. It was really some thing to watch..

There are a few people near here who run coyotes with hounds. These dogs are usually greyhound X wolfhounds of some kind. They are very fast and kill coyotes quickly. These guys have "dog boxes" on the back end of their pickup trucks. They drive around till they spot a coyote, get as close as possible, and they then release the dogs. It's a rare coyote that makes 1/4 to 1/2 mile. The hunters need to get to the kill ASAP, or the dogs will destroy the pelt. These dogs are not friendly, and definitely not house dogs. I also would not allow my child to play with one.

It depends on what you mean by coyote control, for just a deterrent I would say any larger breed guard dog type. However for hunting coyotes the preferred dog here in Wisconsin would have to be the Walker hounds, I believe they're bred down to smaller size than their coonhunting siblings for more stamina.

Back
Top Bottom