Women in the military

Quote:
When I was in the ARMY, you could always tell when the Infantry was in the field on training exercises. The EM club had 4 women for every man. Usually it was 1 woman for every 10 men. The military puts an extreme hardship on families. It's really designed for single people. They could have filled a 5 ton truck with the dear John letters when I was in Germany.

What you described above is pretty much a typical scenario for every walk of life. No reason the military should be any different.

I think that women should be allowed in the military and in combat roles. The physical and psychological standards for jobs should be the same. If you can pass, you can play. Currently, something like 50% of the new recruits can't pass the physical tests before basic training.

One of the big issue for women in the military, who wish to make it a career, is that limiting them from combat roles also limits their promotions.

As for the whole boy/girl thing....if you can't be a professional, you don't belong in the military. If you can't control yourself, you don't belong out in public, much less the military. Life has an infinite number of situations where men and women have to work together and get along, without allowing sexual attraction to take a starring role. Saying that men can't deal with women in this kind of close quarters is a fallacious argument. Women are allowed to go into space with men, a much more intimate situation.

Personally, I would love to see a universal draft instituted. All men and women go into service one their 18th birthday or when they complete high school. No deferments, but the possibility of alternate service: disaster relief, teaching in urban schools, working fire watches, working in National Parks, etc. I think this would make the some of the choices of the way the American military is used, and make issues like pay, body armor availability and properly fitting uniforms for women all matter to everyone. And yes, I do have kids that this radical idea would affect.

I agree on that about the conscription. It would teach kids a lot regardless of weather they went military or something else where discipline was required. It would also cut down on elective wars. When I was in I learned a lot about how other people in our country lived. From The guys that used to brag about "Life in the Hood" to the farm boys that just fell off a hay wagon. We all learned a lot while we served our country.

Conscription may rid our kids of some of the me 1st attitude that so contaminates our society right now. In exchange for time served the country should give those who want it a higher education or train them in a usable trade.

Is there a standard for physical and mental proficiency required to do the job? Great, then let female recruits who can pass both in. By law, individual businesses cannot discriminate on the basis of sex. The federal government shouldn't be able to skirt rules it applies to everyone else.

That makes it open and shut for me, but on a more general level it also seems like having military service be as much like real life as possible is a good thing. An existence without women around is very unlike real life.

It depends on the MOS Military Occupational Specialty. They have a test called the ASVAB which determines all sorts of stuff about your intelligence level as well as a glimpse into your brain. When I was in from 81-85 the standards for intelligence were pretty low. In basic training we took the standard PT test within a week of arrival. Everyone passed. Of course our AIT (Advanced Individual Training) was concurrent and everyone that was in basic was in the same AIT unit. So we didn't have a bunch of support specialties training with us. It was all a bunch of mucho macho guys except for me. I enlisted 6 months before I actually shipped out to Basic. I knew what the test requirements were and I trained to be sure I could meet them all. Of course there was a lot more to Army Basic training than situps/pushups and running. It was pretty tough and you really felt like you had accomplished something when you were done. Drill Sergeants must feel pretty good about what they have done when they finish with a fresh group of cruits. They don't quite change boys into men but they go a long way towards it.

Combat arms is tough, but if a woman is capable of doing it then it would be ridiculous to not let her. Same goes for other facets of our society who have just recently been given equal rights in the military. There was a lot of truly ridiculous arguments against that. Hopefully it will be put to rest along with the issue of women in the Army. It's about time the worlds greatest fighting force has decided to make itself even better.

all I can say is women often have to work twice as hard and be twice as good in many fields to get the same respect men get. It is the same in the military and yet people still say women should not be in combat. All I have to say is it should be an individual basis just like with men. If that woman can keep up with the men, then let her fight.

I know men who can't take a punch o fight worth a darn, and women who can whip butt up and down the street.

What do you big tough men have to be afraid of? If women are so weak then give women an equal shot and basic training and combat will weed them out.

Quote:
100% in agreement.. A first?
wink.png
Basic was rough on me as well. Changed my life.

Combat arms is tough, but if a woman is capable of doing it then it would be ridiculous to not let her. Same goes for other facets of our society who have just recently been given equal rights in the military. There was a lot of truly ridiculous arguments against that. Hopefully it will be put to rest along with the issue of women in the Army. It's about time the worlds greatest fighting force has decided to make itself even better.

thumbsup.gif

(Hey, is that twice in the same year we agreed? I TOLD you the world was ending!
gig.gif
)​

Read your history, how many women served in the Roman Army? (which was by the way the most successful army ever in actual battle/combat).
Quote:
When was the military like that, besides the movies of course?

Back
Top Bottom