Won’t come out and in coop

Motivesgeek03

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2018
Salisbury Maryland
Need help! My chickens will not exit or go back in their coop on their own. Today instead of actually picking up the chickens and placing the chicks outside, we opened the door and kept checking on them to see if they would come out on their own. Around lunch time they still hadn’t come out so we placed their water and food inside the coop. Later my husband went to check on their water and one has passed. I guess because of the heat. It’s 95* here. Why won’t their go in and out on their own. We feel like the worst chickens parents ever. First timers.

Could you post pictures of your set up? Are these chicks? Sometimes it takes some time for them to learn stuff and not be afraid of going in and out. I would definitely encourage them in and out daily until they figure it out. You may want to change stuff with your coop if it gets hot enough for them to die in it. I'm guessing it's a small prefab?

Well that’s really sad, they have to physically be shown how to behave. You need to take them out each morning..... put their beaks in water so they know where it is .... and don’t leave them in an enclosed coop in 95’ weather .... SO SAD ☹️

Could you post pictures of your set up? Are these chicks? Sometimes it takes some time for them to learn stuff and not be afraid of going in and out. I would definitely encourage them in and out daily until they figure it out. You may want to change stuff with your coop if it gets hot enough for them to die in it. I'm guessing it's a small prefab?
Ditto Dat^^^
Age of chicks in weeks ...and what are you feeding?

and.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-7-3_7-36-11.png

Do you have a “treat call”? Such as saying here chickens when you give them a treat? Easy on the treats but I trained my chicks starting at 3 days that when I say chick-chick-chick they are getting a bite or two of hard boiled egg yolk out of my hand. I had them coming out of the coop the first time I opened the door by doing that. Once they touch the grass and dirt they won’t need much more encourage. Having a call to get your chickens to come to you is very helpful in the grand scheme of things.

The chickens are about 8-9 weeks old. We live on the Maryland Eastern Shore. Chicken Country!!! They sit at the edge of the fence usually waiting to be put back in. I talk to them and call them but they won’t eat more than their chick feed. We felt terrible when we found the poor chicken. My husband actually came inside crying. He felt so bad. We built a wooden coop. There is ventilation. My husband has since made a homemade AC unit for them with a small cooler and fan connected to large PVC pipe. He puts water and ice into it and the fan blows cool air. Found on YouTube. I was told to leave them in the coop a couple days but NOT doing that after what happened. The coop was open that day but was hot and not really breezy. will post picture tomorrow when suns out of the coop. Feel like a need a Raising Chicken For Dummies 101

76B275E1-36C2-45D4-A837-5D7C355F795C.jpeg
76B275E1-36C2-45D4-A837-5D7C355F795C.jpeg
C83F52A2-8D98-4271-8C02-3CA7E89C87A1.jpeg
8D780D3D-9F52-4CF0-98B4-5E04A7D334E7.jpeg
The chickens are about 8-9 weeks old. We live on the Maryland Eastern Shore. Chicken Country!!! They sit at the edge of the fence usually waiting to be put back in. I talk to them and call them but they won’t eat more than their chick feed. We felt terrible when we found the poor chicken. My husband actually came inside crying. He felt so bad. We built a wooden coop. There is ventilation. My husband has since made a homemade AC unit for them with a small cooler and fan connected to large PVC pipe. He puts water and ice into it and the fan blows cool air. Found on YouTube. I was told to leave them in the coop a couple days but NOT doing that after what happened. The coop was open that day but was hot and not really breezy. will post picture tomorrow when suns out of the coop. Feel like a need a Raising Chicken For Dummies 101

I’d be cautious about piping in cold /cool air , I’d rather work on ventilation in that coop, add windows or vents in the upper areas, if you get them dependant on a/c and the power goes out they could die.....

Getting a cross breeze in there should be the goal .....

Your coop is so beautiful, but it needs windows .And most people do keep them in the coop a few days to “bond “ with their home , but the coops usually aren’t the temperatures of a sauna . I’m sorry you had to go threw this

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom