Won't...stop...crying

paperdragonfarm

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 13, 2010
Albany
100 chicks came earlier than we expected, right after father-in-laws funeral. Commercial brooder wasn't stable yet. Turns out none of last years thermometers work and we have to make do with meat ones. The temp range is all over the place and incorrect by 8 on one and 17 on the other. The brooder knob is really close to the 120F, or feels like it is. I've gotten past the point where I can really think clear. I just don't want to wake up to frozen or cooked chicks. They sound noisy but I'm so sensitive right now I have precog on people's farts. they seem to be making circles around the lamps, a few are sprawled with feet out. But get up when poked and look annoyed. Not really sure what to do. Bought this stupid commercial set up, not like I can just move the lamps until they look cozy. Any suggestions? metal sides are on the brooder.

Put the heat lamp far to one side of the brooder so that there's a WIDE temperature range from one end to another. Put the light at a temperature you are comfortable with, and the chicks will find the temp that they need. Farther away is safer than too close, but if it's too close the chicks will have a chance to move away from it. Get a good thermometer ASAP and set the light accordingly after that. Good luck! Enjoy your babies and let them help you feel better
smile.png

Oh, and baby chicks sleep sprawled out and often plop down suddenly, so don't worry about that. If they are huddling under the light and chirping loudly, they're too cold, if their wings are droopy and they're panting and far away from the lamp, they're too hot. You should provide enough of a temp gradient so that they can find their happy medium
smile.png

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. No time to waste, gotta take good care of those chicks. Seems like good advice on previous post good luck , and try to get some rest.

Thanks for responding every one! My partner found me pacing and muttering over the brooder at 3 am and sent me to bed.
roll.png
I have a commercial brooder, the heat lamps are built into the top of it so I can't move them. I can only adjust the temperature. And every little wiggle of the knob is a degree. With out having correct thermometers, the only gauge I have is how the chicks are behaving. Which at that hour with no sleep was hard to determine. They seem to be ok today. I'm heading out for a proper thermometer shortly. thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom