Wood chips can I do my own?

lost

Songster
11 Years
May 10, 2008
,nc
I have been seeing chipper anbd shreeders for $40-$50 each latly. Is that ok to do I use pine for my chicks but if i done it my self could I use and tree I want? Thanks

Sure. Ive used chippings my neighbor had from his yard. Just make sure they are dry and dont use cedar or toxic stuff like poison ivy.
There will be a good list of do's and dont's on this, before long. The people around here really know their stuff.
Now, WHERE did you see $50 chipper/shredders??!!
ep.gif

Last edited:
as long as you don't expect chipper-produced stuff to be as absorbant as feedstore pine shavings, sure, go ahead. You will need to make extra sure you have LOTS of ventilation in the coop.

Man, do I ever wish I ahd a $50 chipper or shredder
tongue.png

Pat

I'd be very careful of a chipper for $50. I looked at new ones at Home Depot and they were around $800 for one to chip up to 3 inch limbs. Check it out and maybe have them show you it works first.
It won't be shavings it will be chunks like for mulching plants.

I've got a troybilt and it's good for small stuff but if have a lot to chip you'll be there all day feeding it.

When I decided to gradually clear more woods here at the new place, I purchased a PTO driven chipper for the tractor that will take up to 6" logs. It has a self feeder and will eat an entire tree.
big_smile.png

They use a large flywheel with blades on them, and you can adjust the clearance somewhat if you want thinner chips.

I plan on using my chips once it cools down and I get started clearing again.

We are buying a new house soon with at least 10 acres. After I get my settlement.
And i have been seeing them for sale. i reackon I buy that one I seen. If I don't like I'm sure one of ya'll will but it from me for $50 lol

Back
Top Bottom