Working chick parents?

captivatedlife

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2016
Both my husband and I work out of the house and we were hoping to get chicks and raise them to acclimate then to us and our daughter. Has anyone raised them when you are gone for 6-8 hours a day? Any tips? (I'm hoping that others have done it and not really looking for the I would never do that reply! TIA!)

I'll be home for the summer! I'm more thinking about right now as they are babies.

Thanks!
My husband and I both work 8 hour days, and with with our staggered schedules, the chicks are home alone from 8am-4pm. They are all doing just great! I did take a half day off the morning that they arrived to make sure everyone was healthy (no pasty butts) and knew where to find warmth, food, and water.

Knowing that we would both be working while the chicks are little, we took a few precautions; Ecoglow heater instead of a heat lamp for fire safety, they are in a room in the house that gets closed off while we are gone so nothing happens with the dogs, and we bought a nipple waterer (horizontal has worked so much better than the vertical kind for us) so that they have access to clean water all day.

I make sure to check on them in the mornings before leaving for the day and I spend time talking/cuddling/playing with them in the evenings when I get home.

Thank you so much for your reply. It's nice to see that someone else has done it. I guess we'll have to check to see if it works out in the end. I am excited about the new chicks!

This is our set up. Its a 100gal horse trough with pine shavings under the paper towel. Paper towel was only for the 1st day to monitor poops. We did have a back up water dish for the younger (under 1 week) chicks since they aren't as good at the water nipple.

We are at almost 2 weeks old for the first 4 girls, and the 3 newer additions from this week are following the older girls' lead. Knock on wood, we haven't had any issues with any of the chicks.

My husband and I both work 40+ a week and I just raised my second round of chicks. They're about 7 wks old now. I don't know how many chicks your planning on getting but I don't see a reason not to try. How old is your daughter? It might be a good way to teach her responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom