Working Full Time and Baby Chicks - Doable?

I agree.

Brooding outdoors has so many advantages -- as long as you can assure sufficient heat.

I use a brooder plate now in warm weather and a brooder plate with a backup heat lamp in cold weather because most brooder plates are not rated to use in temperatures below 50F (though my Producer's Pride plate has been good down into the 40's with chicks a few weeks old).

I set up the Big Red Bulb so that it keeps the area around the plate over 50F and keeps the water thawed and the plate keeps the chicks warm.

My brooder is huge: Run to Outdoor Brooder Conversion I close off half of it for the first week or so to keep them from getting lost away from food, water, and heat.
What brooder plate would you recommend? There's dozens with bad reviews on Amazon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230117_143428.jpg
    Screenshot_20230117_143428.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 3
I saw pictures online of dog crates used as brooders, with cardboard added to the sides. I already have a dog crate that we stored in the shed, And it would keep my dog and cat from getting too close. A little screening would probably be a good addition, too.
That’s exactly what I used for my six, two years ago. I punched a pair of small holes at each corner of the cardboard pieces and twisty-tied them to the crate. My crate was the large size, I think 42 inches in the long dimension, so bigger than yours, though. We had a dog and a couple of (at the time) youngish cats and cardboard most of the way up was plenty of protection.

We had them in the mudroom and while it did get a bit dusty toward the end it worked well for us. I had a basic clamp-on light fixture as a heat lamp but within the first few days reduced from 100W (incandescent) down to a 75, then 60 or maybe it was a 40 W bulb – not because the chicks were getting older but because it was so warm with even the smaller wattage bulb. And I felt much safer with the cooler bulb. Our mudroom is not that warm overnight, maybe down to 50F. Of course with six chicks I only need a small warm spot and so could put the light quite low.

And while I was home all the time, the chicks really just did not require more than a little attention per day.

I used the round waterers and feeders that screwed onto either old mayonnaise jars or white plastic containers. I would prep 4 pairs of bottles on my day off, filling with food and water and setting them near my brooder/cage. Then I would just change to a new water and food container each morning before work. I used to use lamps but 2 years ago switched to a brinsea plate. I never had any issues as long as I got the chicks at the start of a weekend or day off. That first day I made sure they were all eating and drinking, no problems after that.
I don't know how many you plan to get, I used to raise mine (a dozen or less) in an old bassinet/pack & play little human-kid container that I bought at a yard sale. Over time I changed out the netting with wire panels. It was not terribly predator proof but it was kept in my shop.
The prices you quoted sound awfully high to me. You might want to shop around a bit more.
Thanks for your info.

I've checked 7 hatcheries that carry bantams.

Most only offer straight run, about $5.00 per chick.

Only Straight Run Hatcheries
Stromberg's S/H $38.00
Cackle (9 chick min) S/H $47.00
Ideal (minimum $40). S/H. $20.00
Mt. Healthy (25 chick minimum, too many!)

Ideal is the cheapest, but I really don't want a rooster at this time.

Sexed Hatcheries
My Pet Chicken-females $15.99 ea, S/H $55.00
Meyer-females $12.88 ea, S/H $50.00

California Hatchery-sold out

Local hatcheries don't offer bantams.

I'll be waiting for Tractor Supply to get chicks I guess...

Thanks for your info.

I've checked 7 hatcheries that carry bantams.

Most only offer straight run, about $5.00 per chick.

Only Straight Run Hatcheries
Stromberg's S/H $38.00
Cackle (9 chick min) S/H $47.00
Ideal (minimum $40). S/H. $20.00
Mt. Healthy (25 chick minimum, too many!)

Ideal is the cheapest, but I really don't want a rooster at this time.

Sexed Hatcheries
My Pet Chicken-females $15.99 ea, S/H $55.00
Meyer-females $12.88 ea, S/H $50.00

California Hatchery-sold out

Local hatcheries don't offer bantams.

I'll be waiting for Tractor Supply to get chicks I guess...

Because of their tiny size, bantam chicks are more difficult to sex and at greater risk of being hurt in the process. :(

Anyone every buy from https://www.chickensforbackyards.com/ ?

They offer Barred Rock bantams females for $11.66 ea. They have other bantam breeds but no Welsummers. The EE's are SR only, $5.45, S/H is $35.00. :idunno
I understand why the shipping is so expensive, but for the price of the shipping I could buy 6 or 7 chicks. I get mine from tractor supply or rural king. I know not everybody has one close enough to go to and has to rely on them being shipped.

I did not realize that bantams were so expensive!
Have you checked your local Craig's List and local FB poultry groups?
I sincerely want to commend you on doing your homework before getting the chicks!
and I use a brinsea brooder plate, they often offer scratch and dent models at a discount. Mine had torn packaging but was perfectly fine and I've been using it for 3+ years.

Back
Top Bottom