Working Full Time and Baby Chicks - Doable?

Do you have any locally owned feed stores?
My local shop, Zachary Feed, will order what and how many I want.
I had them order 6 brown leghorn chicks for me last fall.
That way you don't have to buy a minimum number.
Our only farm/feed store is Tractor Supply. I am going to check with a couple local hardware stores to see if they get chicks, or can order them.

ETA: there's also Agri Supply, where I purchased the cattle panels.

Last edited:
I am retired, but used to
I'm currently working full time, leaving the house about 6:00 am and getting home about 4:30pm.

I don't expect any assistance from family with raising day-old chicks until they graduate to the coop.

Can it be done? And without buying expensive equipment?

Other aspects of the situation:
1. No current hens to brood for me
2. No one in the household to watch chicks for me
3. Chicken pen and coop construction will start in the next couple weeks

Or should I just pay the big money to order pullets?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Note: I did hatch and brood chicks before but it was 30+ years ago, and I was only working part time.

Thanks.

I am retired, but used to brood in the laundry room, got tired of cleaning up the dust
I'm currently working full time, leaving the house about 6:00 am and getting home about 4:30pm.

I don't expect any assistance from family with raising day-old chicks until they graduate to the coop.

Note: I did hatch and brood chicks before but it was 30+ years ago, and I was only working part time.

Thanks.
on everthing, tried the garage, same mess, but bigger area. So, built a pen in the corner of the barn, set up a devider, so they had a smaller space for a week or so. built a wooden box, with slates, for the water and feed, to use after a few weeks. Worked out great, no dust , one heat lamp on one end. I worked part time for a while and had no probem. It was good to know that nothing could get to them also, no nosy cats or dogs.
Mayve get them when you can be hoe for 2 or 3 days, after that they will take care of themselves, never lost a one.

Thanks.
Hello
Temperature is the most time sensitive element. Chicks that get too hot can die quickly.

For that situation, I would make sure the brooder is quite oversized, and longer than it is wide. Put the heat at one end and leave the other for a cool end.

They have thermometers on Amzn that can send the data to your phone and even set alarms, that might be really handy and reassuring, you could call someone to handle a problem, or if the heat goes out or there was a fire you would know.

It probably goes without saying that you would want to make certain they are secure from predators, including dogs, since you won't be there to intervene.
Another reason the brooder build is essential. I've brooded in all sorts of things but the more "temporary" the setup the more you need to check it and fiddle with it.

The next biggest thing is how chicks mess with their water. Stuffing it with shavings and knocking it over because they want to fly on top.
I would do 2 water sources, in different spots, in case they get to playing in one. Also raise them up, just a few inches to start but higher as they grow. I feel like I spend half the time raising chicks on fiddling with the position of their water to hit the right balance between adjusting for their naughtiness and making sure they can reach it. Sturdy blocks help.

Food is easy as long as you use a chick feeder with the holes so they can't kick or bill feed out. For some reason the long ones work better in that regard for me than the round ones.
An amprolium medicated feed is a good idea so you don't have the headache of worrying about cocci.

And if it were me, I would keep as many things standard as possible to eliminate weird variables that you won't be able to monitor.
Such as: Do use flaked pine shavings for bedding, don't add a bunch of additives to the water, avoid toys or anything they could get trapped in, avoid treats.

I think this can work out well, wishing you success!
SourRoses said everything I wanted to say, If you follow her guidelines you’ll do fine, as mentioned the warmth and water is most important, it’s amazing how mischievous these little creatures are. The journey is worthwhile and now with the price of eggs and supply chain problems it’s well worth the time.

We are brooding in a dog crate this time around …its roughly 4’ x 3’ and will work well for the time our 11 chicks are in it (we aim for full integration into the flock around 3 weeks old). To keep things easy, we use a mama heating pad, nipple waterers, and a feeder without the top holes (my father in law has had chicks get heads stuck in the holes). I work from home but would have no concern leaving the chicks all day (we usually do on the weekends) — I’ve set up a blink security camera so that I can check on them as needed away from home, which also makes leaving them easier.

View attachment 3377538
The nipple waterers are a great time saver and eliminates the possibility of spillage (with the exception of a few drops that may drip out). You’ll also find they don’t need filling or cleaning as often because they don’t get contaminated by bedding or poop. I’d recommend building the coop and run first with an area for brooding.

The nipple waterers are a great time saver and eliminates the possibility of spillage (with the exception of a few drops that may drip out). You’ll also find they don’t need filling or cleaning as often because they don’t get contaminated by bedding or poop. I’d recommend building the coop and run first with an area for brooding.
Oh, I have about 150 standard chickens, 8 bantams (from TSC) and 30 Silkie chickens….

Hello

SourRoses said everything I wanted to say, If you follow her guidelines you’ll do fine, as mentioned the warmth and water is most important, it’s amazing how mischievous these little creatures are. The journey is worthwhile and now with the price of eggs and supply chain problems it’s well worth the time.
Thank you. I appreciate all input. :D

And, lastly, looking at the Murray McMurray Hatchery catalog, they have about a dozen different bantam breeds for $6.15 each.
Thanks, I do appreciate the information. Unfortunately McMurray doesn't have any of the bantam breeds I was hoping to find: Easter Eggers, Welsummers, Delaware, or Barred Rock.

It gets hot here, so I am trying to find a bantam that has a good to very good record of egg production along with friendliness and heat tolerance. I don't care for the look of Silkies and Frizzles, I prefer clean-legged birds.

The best deal for me if Tractor Supply is a bust, is Ideal. They only offer SR but ask a decent price for Easter Egger bantam chicks ($5.10 each SR, minimum $40), or about $60 with shipping, AND they are from another "hot" area of the country. I've seen it posted elsewhere that the location of the hatchery is worth considering.

Back
Top Bottom