Worming at POL?

grandmaof5

Songster
10 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Central N.S.
I just read on another post that someone worms her chickens just before they start to lay so as not to have to throw away any eggs; does everyone do this as a matter of course? my ladies are now 19 weeks old and I do not feed medicated feed. I have been trying to stay away from drugs, hormones, etc. Should I now get a wormer? What kind? Arghhh... a whole new batch of concerns now...
th.gif

Medicated feed is to help them develop an immunity to cocci. Has nothing to do with worms.

Some people never worm their chickens and some do it routinely, perhaps at POL then yearly. I did it once because it sounded like a good idea, with ivermectin, and mine range up to nearly 3 years. Will probably not do it again unless someone gets sick.

Bottom line, you just have to do the research and choose for yourself. If you do it, don't waste effort on pumpkin seeds or DE or red pepper or the like, use a real wormer, usually starting with
Wazine then a stronger product like ivermectin or -- I don't know the name -- something like fenbentazole, but that's an approximation of the spelling.

Many people have differring opinions on worming and its affects on poultry and eggs. Some use only methods that decrease the population, but does not kill the worms.

I personally have already wormed my chickens prior to point of lay using injectable Ivomec in their water, but I live in FL where worms in animals runs rampant if not kept in check. The idea here is to then worm again when they molt, since egg production during molt is much lower, however, since the wormer I used is used on people in other countries, I am not sure I will discard eggs or not. I certaintly would not sell them. but for personal use, I am still on the fence.

yes, most wormers require 14 days of egg discarding due to residuals in the egg.

I hope this helps.

BTW, my family and I ate the eggs after the ivermectin, which as the other poster referred to, is used in Africa in people to cure river blindness.

I hated it cause I had to take 1 packet, divide it into a certain amount for a 1 gallon container and then add that diluted solution into the gallon waterers cause I didn't want to make up thousands of gallons at once. I hope you didn't get that one!

For those posting what products they worm with, maybe you could add directions ie how much of the product you add to xx gallons of water. Since most products are not labeled for poultry and not in small amounts.

Brody's Broodello :

For those posting what products they worm with, maybe you could add directions ie how much of the product you add to xx gallons of water. Since most products are not labeled for poultry and not in small amounts.

All one has to do is ask. Please feel free to ask me if you wish.​

Back
Top Bottom