Worming baby chicks with the rest of the flock?

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
When I was scooping up chicken poo this morning, I saw what looked like worms. I didn't take a picture because it was covered in a droppings mix with sweet PDZ and other stuff, but it was long and round and I only found one. I have also noticed an increase in yellowish droppings. The chickens seem fine for now but I'm going to deworm them. I have Fenbendazole that I gave them once last year and Valbazen. I'm reading confusing information about giving Wazine first before Valbazen and others saying that's not necessary. Well, I can't even find Wazine anywhere so that might not be an option. I found some dosing info on Valbazen, .8ml/lbs, then repeat in 10 days. Does this have to be done in the morning or night? What if I have two week old baby chicks? Do I need to worm them now too?

Last edited:
Any pictures of possible worms are welcome here. Okay, I would not worm baby chicks at all until they are at least 2 months old. If you have Valbazen, shake it well, and give your chickens 0.08 ml per pound—not 0.8–orally once and repeat that in 10 days. Valbazen kills live worms, and the second dose will get any eggs that hatch. So a 6 pound hen would get almost 0.5 ml. Valbazen and fenbedazole (SafeGuard, Panacur) are both very safe. Some old posts here from many years ago recommended Wazine in case of a large worm load, but it is no longer recommended or necessary. Wazine has been off the market for several years. Removing old droppings, and keeping bedding dry and stirred, replacing it as necessary is good practice to help prevent worm infestations. Your vet also may agree to run a fecal float test on some fresh droppings to look for worm eggs.

Any pictures of possible worms are welcome here. Okay, I would not worm baby chicks at all until they are at least 2 months old. If you have Valbazen, shake it well, and give your chickens 0.08 ml per pound—not 0.8–orally once and repeat that in 10 days. Valbazen kills live worms, and the second dose will get any eggs that hatch. So a 6 pound hen would get almost 0.5 ml. Valbazen and fenbedazole (SafeGuard, Panacur) are both very safe. Some old posts here from many years ago recommended Wazine in case of a large worm load, but it is no longer recommended or necessary. Wazine has been off the market for several years. Removing old droppings, and keeping bedding dry and stirred, replacing it as necessary is good practice to help prevent worm infestations. Your vet also may agree to run a fecal float test on some fresh droppings to look for worm eggs.
Will the baby chicks be okay? Should I worm only them once they hit 8 weeks? They've been hanging out in the garden with the rest of the flock.

I'm also giving the chickens Denaguard for 3 days as preventative for MG since they had it last year. Should I wait until this is done or can I worm them today?

You can worm them today, or wait until the Denagard is finished. When the chicks are 8 weeks old you could get the fecal float, to see if they have worms, worm them, or wait to see how they are behaving then.
Thanks for your response. I wormed them all with Valbazen this morning except for the mom and baby chicks. However, I can't stop wondering how is it that baby chicks would be okay if the rest of the flock is infected. Is it because they are so young and haven't been around the area long enough for the buildup?

Chicks can have a large roundworm infection under 12 weeks old but normally no sooner that 6 weeks old due to the worms lifecycle, then they would have to be on soil as well.
I worm chicks at 5 weeks old when temps are warm and they've been on soil. Otherwise I worm them at 6 weeks old.
It would be best to worm the mama hen also.

Chicks can have a large roundworm infection under 12 weeks old but normally no sooner that 6 weeks old due to the worms lifecycle, then they would have to be on soil as well.
I worm chicks at 5 weeks old when temps are warm and they've been on soil. Otherwise I worm them at 6 weeks old.
It would be best to worm the mama hen also.
Ooo makes sense.

I was going to wait until the baby chicks no longer slept under her wing because I didn't want to stress them out but I can worm her in the daytime when they're out. She won't be on an empty stomach though like how I did the other chickens but that should be okay?

Last edited:
Personally, I would worm the mama hen. Worm her early in the morning before sunrise when it's still dark outside.
Use a flashlight and just pull down on her wattles and her mouth will open. Using a needleless syringe, quickly shoot the 1/2ml Valbazen in her mouth and immediately release the wattles at the same time so she can swallow the liquid. Done.

Personally, I would worm the mama hen. Worm her early in the morning before sunrise when it's still dark outside.
Use a flashlight and just pull down on her wattles and her mouth will open. Using a needleless syringe, quickly shoot the 1/2ml Valbazen in her mouth and immediately release the wattles at the same time so she can swallow the liquid. Done.
Okay, I just wormed her. Glad I got it out of the way. So I can go ahead and just worm everyone again 10 days from today, even though the other chickens will be one day late?

I also meant to ask you, since I saw in your other posts that you worm your chickens once a month with Valbazen. I thought that would cause resistance in the worms if the same dewormer is used all the time?

Okay, I just wormed her. Glad I got it out of the way. So I can go ahead and just worm everyone again 10 days from today, even though the other chickens will be one day late?

I also meant to ask you, since I saw in your other posts that you worm your chickens once a month with Valbazen. I thought that would cause resistance in the worms if the same dewormer is used all the time?
Yes, you can reworm your birds anywhere from 10-14 days after the initial worming.
I've been using Valbazen for years without resistance. Even if there were resistance, simply increase the dosage.
I do use other wormers once in awhile but not often.

Back
Top Bottom