WORMING MY FLOCK

Jakenhoss

Songster
12 Years
Jan 7, 2008
Punkin Center, Arizona
I have wormed my flock once, last summer, they all ate the medicated bread with no problem. However, this time I tried to give them the medicated bread and all of them would have nothing to do with it. It wasn't the bread because they ate it plain just fine. (the little thieves). I am wondering if I can give them the medication, valbazine, straight from the bottle down their throats. Is there any harm in doing it that way?
Thanks for reading my post and I will consider all answers and hopefully get it taken care of before the real egg laying time is here. All though I never really had a break in egg production during the winter. I am in AZ. so spring is here. Suppose to be 91 by Friday.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
The only problem would be getting it into their digestive instead of respiratory system. The only safe way that I know of getting liquids into them when they aren't drinking them voluntarily is to drop it a drop at a time along the side of the beak and letting them pull it into their mouth. Or you could look up tube feeding in our learning center and do it that way -- if you really want to do that! I'm surprised they refused the bread; I've given the same chickens Valbazen soaked bread pieces two or three times. Maybe you just need a more attractive treat -- or even just a different one. Raw hamburger, maybe? Cook them each a small meatball and inject the drug into the meatball? I'm just brainstorming here....

Pull the wattles down and the mouth will open. Use a syringe without a needle and dose orally undiluted. Preload your syringe with 1/2cc valbazen. Then squirt the liquid in the mouth, then immediately let go of the wattles so the chicken can swallow the liquid on her own without aspirating. Do a couple practice runs without the valbazen in the syringe until you get comfortable handling the chicken, then go for it. You'll be a pro before you know it.

Thanks Flockwatcher and Dawg53 for your responses. Flockwatcher, I think my flock is just REALLY spoiled. I will try to administer as Jim suggest and if that doesn't work, I'll spoil them a little bit more with some hamburger. Again, thanks to both of you very much. I'll be doing it first thing in the morning.
Jakenhoss

I usually use Peprazine or "wazine" But I really liked using the pills for worming my hens.I'll have to see if I can find the stuff you mentioned.Thanks =)
Debbie

I deworm my birds by putting it in their water. It's their only source of water so I know that they are all getting wormed. I don't eat the eggs for a about a week. I have to throw them out =[ but other than that, thats all I do. That's also how I give them electrolytes when they look like they need alittle energy.

I saw some huge worms in my chicken poop before Christmas and went to my feed store for their answers to how best manage this and they said a lot of people swear by Diatomaceous Earth.
So I bought a bag and haven't seen any worms in poop since. there also is not recovery time for the chickens and you don't need to destroy the eggs when you worm them. Just mix a bit of the powder in with every pail full of the chicken pellets and its seems to be doing the trick.

You can also try Eprinex or Ivomec. Both are pour-on dewormers that you would apply beneath the feathers on their necks. .5 cc for large fowl, .25 cc for bantams. But the little syringe where you buy the dewormer--you wont' need a needle. The advantage to both of these is that they kill external parasites like mites, too. Eprinex is very expensive, but you don't have to discard eggs. Ivomec is the standard two-week withholding period.

In regards to DE, it won't get rid of an active parasite problem. It may help prevent parasites in the first place, but we have a well-know avian vet near us and he told us not to use it. DE works to kill insects because it's so sharp it abrades the insect bodies. That sharpness can cause lung damage in hens that are fed DE or dustbathe in it on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom