Worming quail in Canada Dosing Question

Binki

Songster
Jul 9, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Hey guys! I think I should worm my quail, problem is I don't have access to Wazine so I'm using its apparent Canadian equivalent called Piperazine 52. It's a powder for roundworms that says for chickens:

"Prepare medicated water by adding 400 g (1 pouch) of powder to 320 L of water"

Which I've brought down to 1 teaspoon (4g) per 3.2L for our chickens so my question is - do I dose the quail the same way? Or scale it back as per their weight difference with chickens?

I have read conflicting posts and not anything specific to Piperazine 52 so I'm hoping someone has experience so I can do it properly :) This is my first time worming poultry.

Ha my phone isn't allowing me to copy and paste but the active ingredient is:

Piperazine dihydrochloride (97%)

Thanks for your thoughts!

I would expect a smaller bird to drink less, meaning the actual consumed dose will be much smaller for quail even when the concentration in the water is the same. If this is correct and a quail drinks about as much water pr. gram of body weight as a chicken, then I think you can just use the same dose.
There could of cause be issues like quail being more sensitive to the drug meaning it's not safe to use as high a dose. But you also don't wan't to reduce it so much it's not effective against the worms, and the chicken dose is definitely not set higher than it needs to be to accomplish that, so I wouldn't reduce the dose significantly, unless you figure out quail actually drink more than chickens.

I would expect a smaller bird to drink less, meaning the actual consumed dose will be much smaller for quail even when the concentration in the water is the same. If this is correct and a quail drinks about as much water pr. gram of body weight as a chicken, then I think you can just use the same dose.
There could of cause be issues like quail being more sensitive to the drug meaning it's not safe to use as high a dose. But you also don't wan't to reduce it so much it's not effective against the worms, and the chicken dose is definitely not set higher than it needs to be to accomplish that, so I wouldn't reduce the dose significantly, unless you figure out quail actually drink more than chickens.

Ah thanks!! :) your posts are always informative! I also emailed the company and a vet replied back saying Piperazine 52 should be safe for quail and the chicken dosage should do, however, because it's not legally for quail, no effects on eggs Are known so I should not consume the eggs for 2 if not 3 weeks.

So very helpful and reassuring, however I will be testing it on a male who's already seperated, juuuuust in case!

I'm still looking for a broad spectrum antiparasitic in Canada, I've read that Safe-Guard Goat Dewormer is good to follow up with after initial roundworm meds, but can't locate it or equivalent in Canada yet :p

Back
Top Bottom