worming question and disposal of eggs for two weeks

aswartzalso

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
I just wormed with wazine 17 for round worms. I can't eat the eggs for two weeks. Is there anything I can do with them? Cook them and feed them back to chickens? Feed them to dog? I hate to throw them away.
My hen tested positive for round worms should I follow up in Two weeks with another treatment..I read I should.

I just wormed with wazine 17 for round worms. I can't eat the eggs for two weeks. Is there anything I can do with them? Cook them and feed them back to chickens? Feed them to dog? I hate to throw them away.
My hen tested positive for round worms should I follow up in Two weeks with another treatment..I read I should.

Just throw the eggs out. It would be wise to deworm again on the 10th day with Valbazen suspension. Give .08 cc per pound of bird orally with a syringe (no needle). You can always squeeze it onto a piece of bread too. Best time to worm is in the morning. and feed after. I would dose all birds. If one has them, they should all be dewormed.

I used Wazine a few weeks ago and researched this issue. The active ingredient is Piperazine which is also used to treat humans and considered safe even for pregnant women: http://www.drugs.com/mmx/piperazine-citrate.html

I read somewhere that the Wazine Mfg did NOT want to pay for FDA approval so they can't say the eggs are safe for human consumption (FDA approval is very very expensive).

I didn't waste any of the eggs and ate them all. If humans can take human size doses of piperazine with no problems then any tiny trace found in eggs (if there is any) was not a worry for me.

Last edited:
aswartzalso, you will get reasonable answers and unreasonable answers on a public forum. When in doubt, consult with a licensed avian veterinarian in regard to withdrawal periods. Piperazine paralyzes worms and can cause blockage with a large worm load. Use Valbazen (Albendazole) as it is a much more effective and safe anthelmintic for poultry:
http://japr.oxfordjournals.org/content/16/3/392.full.pdf

Last edited:
I used Wazine a few weeks ago and researched this issue. The active ingredient is Piperazine which is also used to treat humans and considered safe even for pregnant women: http://www.drugs.com/mmx/piperazine-citrate.html

I read somewhere that the Wazine Mfg did NOT want to pay for FDA approval so they can't say the eggs are safe for human consumption (FDA approval is very very expensive).

I didn't waste any of the eggs and ate them all. If humans can take human size doses of piperazine with no problems then any tiny trace found in eggs (if there is any) was not a worry for me.
Chickens aren't humans, so comparing activity of piperazine between the two regarding withdrawal makes no sense unless you eat humans.
http://www.betterchem.com/vet/piperazine.htm

there is evidence that piperazine may be metabolized into endogenous substances.Thus, at longer withdrawal times,
much of the residue present may be of no toxicological concern. Together, these data indicate that a period of
withdrawal prior to slaughter should be observed with the use of piperazine in chickens, turkeys, and swine.

Withdrawal times of 14 days for poultry.

Chickens aren't humans, so comparing activity of piperazine between the two regarding withdrawal makes no sense unless you eat humans.

Uhhh yeah. That is why I researched piperazine use in HUMANS. I am not advising that the op do one particular thing, I am just stating what I did based my drug research.

I am not going to argue with you about it. I have posted some sources and the op can read the info and decide for herself.

Quote: Piperazine can be used to treat children who are between three months to two years of age, but it needs to be taken in two doses (either 2.5ml or 5ml each), two weeks apart.

During the second, or third, trimester (weeks 14-26, and week 27 onwards), and during breastfeeding, medication can be used if necessary.

Last edited:
Michael...that was what I had read and sounds like a great plan..and yes all my hens worked same time. Thanks everyone! I love this forum.

If you see large roundworms in feces, it's a safe bet that the hen is infested with them. Wazine acts as a flush, paralyzing all the worms. All the worms are immediately released from the intestinal lining possibly causing a blockage in the digestive tract. This will cause toxic dead worm overload which can be fatal to the hen. See pic:

This is why valbazen (albendazole) should be used as a first wormer. Valbazen slowly kills worms over several days, no worries about toxic dead worm over load.
As far as eating eggs after using ANY wormer, you eat them at your choice and risk. The eggs have wormer residue in them, however slight; there's the possibility a person could have a sensitivity or reaction to the residue. Additionally, IF you ever get worms yourself and you are prescribed piperazine, it might be ineffective due to the residue in eggs that were previously eaten. This is similar to antibiotic resistance you hear about in the media all the time. I discard eggs for 14 days after worming.
Wazine has a 14 day slaughter withdrawal period. If the meat is good to eat after 14 days, so are the eggs. Do what you feel is best for you and your significant others.

Back
Top Bottom