Worms and wazine 17? HELP!

I use Eprinex (Ivomec). I use 6 drops to the skin on the back of the neck for my large fowl Brahmas, 3 drops for my babies and Seramas. There is no withdrawal time and it is good for worms, mites, and just about anything else. I have been using it every four months for two years with no ill effects on my chickens.

Quote:
There is more than one form of ivomectrin, the name of the drug, that can be used in chickens, but you need to know the dose for the particular form you buy. None are marketed for chickens, but many on here use them.

Epinrex is the one I have used. You drop (a needleless syringe is the simplest way) 0.5 cc on the skin, under the feathers, on the back of the neck, for adult large fowl chickens. The dose is different for bantams. This is the only dose I know because it's the only one I have ever used. It's marketed for cattle.

People do use Wazine in layers; you just aren't supposed to eat the eggs for a while, I don't know how long.

There are other wormers besides these two. Often, Wazine is used first, in case there is a large infestation, so it won't shock the chicken so badly, as it only treats one kind of worm (roundworm.)

Worming is something one should really research thoroughly on here before deciding how to go about it. I used to have a link to an excellent worming thread; unfortunately, I lost it in a computer crash.

I went through the worming confussion and settled on doing the following in the fall each year before it turns cold. I use the wazine 17 in their water as stated for 24 hours and then in 10 days use the pour on Ivomec Eprinex. Here is the dosage I got from one of the threads: 5 drops on large birds, 3 drops on regular bantams and 2 on smaller bantams like D'uccles. As stated above put the drops between their shoulders/wings. The withdrawal period for the wazine is 14 days then you can eat the eggs again. There is no noted withdrawal period for the Eprinex and this is conculded from no withdrawal period when used on cows in regards to their milk. The wazine covers round worm and the pour on covers a number of others. If I feel a need in the spring or summer I will put in their food Rooster Booster which has no withdrawal period. If you look up rooster booster you will get their web site. All my babies have done good on this schd so I will stick to what is working. Hope this helps. Have a happy chicken day ;> Now I need to learn how to spell and type.

Last edited:
Most people I know use Wazine. Some wait 2 weeks, some don't , for eating the eggs. My bottle has doses for chickens on the side. One ounce per gallon, leave out for 24 hours. I think some literature states not to use for layers as a disclaimer since not enough research has been done on using Wazine for layers.

I alternate Wazine with pour-on Ivermec, one or the other every 4 months. Yes, pouron is .5 cc or ml. per standard size, and .3 cc or ml per smaller chicken on the skin on the back of their neck. I go around and do it after dark with a flashlight, it's easier with 35 chickens, LOL.

Chicken health for longer life is a new field. Before having chicken pets, chickens didn't live that long, so it was not important. But us BYCers know that chickens get worms and it needs to be taken care of. There is really no wormer out there that states that it is safe for layers, so we BYCers use the most benign treatments.

0.5 ml or cc is about 10-12 drops, being 1 ml or cc is 20-22 drops. cc and ml are the same thing.

Quote:
Good program; I will bookmark.

Only problem: drops are dependent on the dropper. In nursing school we were taught 15 drops = 1 cc (or 1 ml.) For this reason I recommend using a syringe; more exact.

If you feel there may be enough of an infestation that the chickens are getting sick from it, then use Wazine for one round followed by ivermec or another broad-spectrum wormer. Wait two weeks in between to give them time to recover. Reason is that if they are badly infested, starting with ivermectin can be too much for them, and their bodies may not be able to deal with the toxins from the dead worms and eggs.

I lost a 3 month old pullet today. I first noticed that she seemed lethargic yesterday and she didn't survive the night. Under all the fluffy feathers, she was just skin and bones. She's been eating fine adn loved eating treats. I am afraid it may have been worms???? I bought wazine this morning and put in the water to treat all of the others. The pour on ivermectin was pretty expensive for a few back yard birds. I think it was about $40. I may have to make an investment. I don't want my birds to get sick and die.

Quote:
Good program; I will bookmark.

Only problem: drops are dependent on the dropper. In nursing school we were taught 15 drops = 1 cc (or 1 ml.) For this reason I recommend using a syringe; more exact.

If you feel there may be enough of an infestation that the chickens are getting sick from it, then use Wazine for one round followed by ivermec or another broad-spectrum wormer. Wait two weeks in between to give them time to recover. Reason is that if they are badly infested, starting with ivermectin can be too much for them, and their bodies may not be able to deal with the toxins from the dead worms and eggs.

Yes, a syringe is better.

Back
Top Bottom