Worms???? Help!

ClaireDucks

Hatching
Oct 6, 2015
Hi everyone,

Just after some advice regarding a possible worm infestation. I have recently taken over the care of 2 Pekin duck drakes. Over the past couple of days one of the drakes has started to cough. All other behaviour, appetite and stools are normal. I haven't yet wormed them (though perhaps I should have) and I am concerned he might have gapeworm. I must admit to being confused as one post I read said that gapeworm doesn't exist in Australia- is that even possible? I have some kilverm (levamisole) left over from worming my chooks. Would this kill gapeworm? Or just the ones listed on the bottle? If this won't work what should I use (instead or in conjunction). Thanks for all the advice - I don't want to see my boys get sick.

@ClaireDucks can you upload a video? There are a number of things that can cause a cough, including respiratory problems like aspergiliosis (which I know I did not spell correctly). I know you don't want to delay, but maybe we could consider other causes for coughing - could be as simple as some dust. Also, drakes can make some funny noises when they are feeling - umm - hormonal.

Um getting a video may be problematic as it only happens once every hour or two. It's only a couple of coughs and then back to normal. What other things can I try without accessing a vet (as this is location problematic)

From Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks:

In the case of gapeworms, birds often attempt to clear their windpipes by vigorously shaking their heads and coughing.

Treat ducks for internal parasites only if they actually have an infestation. The indiscriminate use of wormers over a period of time can reduce the natural immunity of the birds. The best way to know if your birds need treatment is to take a fecal sample to your veterinarian for evaluation.

end quotes.

So, that's what the book says. What are they doing right before they cough? My ducks cough when they noodle around in dry material, or get something stuck in their nares. In the latter case, it's kind of a whistling cough.

They are usually just wandering around the garden. Don't hear it at night when they are asleep. Not particularly when they are around dry food etc. the sound is a hoarse kind of throaty cough/exhalation. Only have two males so no females to impress lol

Hi everyone,

Just after some advice regarding a possible worm infestation. I have recently taken over the care of 2 Pekin duck drakes. Over the past couple of days one of the drakes has started to cough. All other behaviour, appetite and stools are normal. I haven't yet wormed them (though perhaps I should have) and I am concerned he might have gapeworm. I must admit to being confused as one post I read said that gapeworm doesn't exist in Australia- is that even possible? I have some kilverm (levamisole) left over from worming my chooks. Would this kill gapeworm? Or just the ones listed on the bottle? If this won't work what should I use (instead or in conjunction). Thanks for all the advice - I don't want to see my boys get sick.

Gapes are hard to treat, but Levamisole should work, though I don't know what the dose would be. Safeguard and Panacur (fenendazole) will also work, but need to be given several days in a row. The dose I use to treat all worms is 25mg/kg for five consecutive days. Can you get Safeguard or Panacur in AU?

FWIW, I've had hundreds of ducks and chickens and I've only ever seen gapes in one of them.

-Kathy

That is comforting to hear. I have the dosage of levamisole so that's not a problem. Haven't heard of the other two drugs. Hoping he improves in a couple of days.

Bean (my drake) sometimes makes what sounds to me like a belching noise, when he's feeling particularly masculine. Not when mating, just when he's by himself in his little pool.

Back
Top Bottom