chickennl0ver

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2016
maine
i noticed today that our 1 year old splash cochin has some little white worms in her poop, they are very small and its the first time ive ever seen it happen:(. she is an indoor chicken (cause of unavoidable circumstances) and so im around her pretty much 24/7. she has been broody the past few weeks but shes recently gotten over it. other than that her health seems fine, shes still trying to get back into her normal routine at the moment after the broodiness, so she isnt laying eggs yet but normally her eggs are consistent and healthy. based on the worm itself and after some research, i believe its the cecal worm, and i know its definitely not the most serious thing, but shes like my baby so i want to ensure i take the best course of action. i read online that safeguard liquid dewormer for chickens is good for a various types of worms, including cecal. so im wondering if i should just go ahead with that treatment plan, or if its better to send her poop in to the vet for a fecal flotation test to see exactly what worm it is and how serious it may be. part of me wants to just treat her as soon as possible, cause in the mean time im hesitant to let her back outside until we get all of this sorted. and in the case that we decide on the test, im worried about her getting worse in the potential days while the test is waiting to come back. overall im just a really concerned mother trying not to freak out, and i want to make sure i do what is best. thank you :)

It would be best to go ahead and worm her with the Safeguard liquid goat wormer. You might as well worm your other birds as well. If one has them, most likely the others have them as well.

It would be best to go ahead and worm her with the Safeguard liquid goat wormer. You might as well worm your other birds as well. If one has them, most likely the others have them as well.
thank u so much for the reply!:D i was thinking the same, but is there a chance things can get worse after using it? ive never had to deal with worms before so maybe im just overreacting but im really worried that somehow i could mess it up:(. but if i do go ahead with the treatment, how long does it take to work? also should i still get her tested?

Safeguard is a very safe wormer to use in poultry, no worries. I've used it often without any issues. I dont recommend using it when birds are in molt though.

Safeguard liquid goat wormer dosage is 0.25ml per pound given orally for 5 days straight. The dosage for a 5 pound hen is 1.25ml given orally for 5 days. Use a syringe without a needle to administer it orally, and only give 1/2ml to her at a time. Anything more than that, she might aspirate.
At this rate, the Safeguard will eliminate large roundworms, cecal worms, capillary worms and other types of roundworms. Save yourself some money, no need to take fecal samples to a vet.

Back
Top Bottom