Worms in my Eggs? AAAAAGH!

BrownBadger

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 26, 2013
I am not 100% certain because I didn't see it raw, but my husband made me scrambled eggs with cheese for breakfast, and I pulled a white, thin rubber band string-like thing out of the cooked eggs. Needless to say I am totally grossed out. I know chickens CAN get worms, but I have had them for 40 years and never had a problem. I did add some rescued chickens to my flock this summer so I guess that's possible. My husband thinks it is just a string of albumen or cheese, but I'm not sure.

I want to worm my chickens now, and I've heard everything from garlic potions to Piperazine, some with long waiting periods for egg use, some not. What do people recommend? If it was worms, can we get them ourselves from, GULP, eating these? :(
Thank you.

It might have been a worm. Occaisonally, a worm will find its way and crawl up a hen's oviduct, to be encased inside an egg.
sickbyc.gif
If you want to worm them, I think that you should get a broad spectrum wormer like Valbazen or Safeguard. The withdrawal period for Safeguard is fourteen days after dosing, and for Valbazen, it is also fourteen days.

I was thinking the same thing as bearfoot. If it was a worm in your scrambled eggs, you just would have gotten extra protein you wouldn't have been able to see it. The best time to worm your chickens would be when they aren't laying much anyway.

Here’s a link to an article on roundworms in chicken eggs. It’s really really rare but it can happen. If it is a worm, it would be a roundworm, so you would need something to treat roundworms. Since it was cooked and dead, no you cannot get worms from eating a cooked worm. Any cooked eggs would be dead too.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/35/roundworms-in-eggs

You might contact a veterinarian and see what it would cost to get a fecal test to determine if your chickens have worms and what kinds. If you know what you are dealing with, you can figure out a treatment plan. Otherwise you are just guessing.

I do a lot of gardening and try to use as few chemicals as possible. One thing I’ve learned is that the “natural” or “organic” methods seldom wipe out a pest. At best they help keep the numbers manageable. (I know, some of Mother Nature’s pesticides are as deadly as some of the manmade ones, but I’m thinking of garlic, vinegar, things like that for worms). If I wanted to treat my chickens for worms, I’d get a medication designed for that and go through the withdrawal period for the eggs.

I use Valbezan at a rate of .5ml for per bird given orally this is for LF, for Banty's cut to .25ml. Or .01ml per lb of body wt (approx) I give to my birds twice a year. 14 day withdrawal, some eat any ways. Same med used to worm humans.

Back
Top Bottom