Worms or Shed Intestinal Lining - Yucky Pics!!

Tamara119

Songster
9 Years
Jul 14, 2012
Bariloche, Patagonia
So this morning I found a poo that had what I thought was a worm. I took the 'worm' out and looked at it closely. I couldn't readily identify it but I figured it must be a round worm. I have levamisole at the ready, and I can easily get piperazine, but the more I thought about it the more I wondered if it really was a worm. I didn't get photos of the original poop, but looking at the poop page, it looked like this:

or exactly like this, from the Chicken Chick's page:

Both of the photos above are NOT worms, but show rather yucky portions of shed intestinal lining.

Here are photos of the stringy pink 'worm' that I found:

So, what do you think? Is this a worm or just a big long piece of shed intestinal lining?
Thanks!

According to the directions, you can store the mixed solution for ninety days.  
does it specify what kind of water to use? With most medications in solution, other contaminants like chlorine, fluoride, calcium, phosphorus, etc. The mixture doesn't keep its efficacy due to being forced out of solution.
With chlorhexidine solution, it stays good for a long time in a tub, but if you use non-deionized water, it becomes cloudy and there's a lot of particulates.
With duramycin, water that is too hard (too much contamination) will render the antibiotic useless.

I wouldn't personally risk it, unless you are using distilled or RO/DI water.

Yes, thanks, the Chicken Chick's photo is what I'm comparing mine to. I'm leaning towards intestinal lining not worm, but I'd like to know if anyone else agrees with me.

I'm not sure where you live because levamisole is not used that much in the US (although it gets most worms in chickens,) but I would use it rather than piperazine since piperazine will only kill round worm, not cecal, gapeworm, or hairworm. Worming them twice a year depending on your climate may keep them from getting sick. Most worms besides tapes and round worm are hard to see without magnification. If you start to see more and more orange or blood in the stools, then I would treat for coccidiosis.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm actually in Argentina (I'm Canadian). Levamisole, piperazine and ivermectin are the main ones I can get. I think the ivermectin still works here for round worms, and I've used it before. I haven't used the others yet. I'll keep an eye on the poop. I've had coccidiosis before in a young chick, and it is now our cool rainy season so you're right, it's a good idea to watch for coccidiosis too.

Back
Top Bottom