Worms?! Yikes! What should I give my chickens?

Kluk-Kluk

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 11, 2014
upstate New York

Ick! This is what I found on the ground early this morning. I don't regularly deworm my chickens - I feel I should do so only when necessary. I've had chickens over five years and this is the first time I've seen something like this. What is it (yes, a worm, but what kind?) and what should I do?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Most vets will do a fecal float for you, even if they don't normally treat chickens. It's inexpensive or in some cases, free. That will tell you exactly what kind of worms you are dealing with. Though that looks to me more like intestinal shedding than a worm. Intestinal shed can be caused by worms and coccidiosis. The vet will be able to tell you for sure. Take in a big sample. Like multiple poos just to be sure they have enough. Once you know what it is for sure then you will know what wormer to use.

Most vets will do a fecal float for you, even if they don't normally treat chickens. It's inexpensive or in some cases, free. That will tell you exactly what kind of worms you are dealing with. Though that looks to me more like intestinal shedding than a worm. Intestinal shed can be caused by worms and coccidiosis. The vet will be able to tell you for sure. Take in a big sample. Like multiple poos just to be sure they have enough. Once you know what it is for sure then you will know what wormer to use.
X2. Looks like intestinal lining. I blew it up so I could see it better, but could not see any worms.
idunno.gif

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom