Worms

Feedingfour

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 16, 2013
Pa
Our favorite chicken has been acting off the past few days. We finally came to the conclusion she has worms. I bought a dewormer today at tractor supply but I'm freaking out! She's like our baby and we don't want to lose her. What else (if anything) can we do to get rid of the worms? Will she even survive if we get rid of them? I don't even care about egg production. I just want her to be okay!
1f622.png
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Well why do you think she has worms? Have you seen any? Please describe the symptoms, and what kind of dewormer did you buy? a broad spectrum dewormer is best (like Safeguard) because that treats all types of worms except tapeworm, and there are lots of different parasites.

I'm wondering the same thing? Why do you think she has worms? You can generally see worms in their poops! There are many reasons a hen can be acting differently! I also get my worm medicine from a VET!

Please give more info as to how your hen is acting! Is her poops looking normal? That would say a lot about her condition if they aren't!

TC

She's very lethargic, she doesn't eat like she used to. She's losing weight. She doesn't lay much anymore, she used to be one of my best layers. I believe that is worms in her stool, which is very runny. I could be wrong but whatever I've looked at these are the symptoms of worms.

Our favorite chicken has been acting off the past few days. We finally came to the conclusion she has worms. I bought a dewormer today at tractor supply but I'm freaking out! She's like our baby and we don't want to lose her. What else (if anything) can we do to get rid of the worms? Will she even survive if we get rid of them? I don't even care about egg production. I just want her to be okay!
1f622.png
Thanks in advance for any advice.
It wont hurt to worm your birds...springtime is worm time. Contrary to popular belief and misinformation you dont have to see worms in feces in order for your birds to have worms. Why would a parasite let go of its host? They'll only let go when there's no more room in the guts or one happens to die off and gets excreted.

Safeguard is very gentle and yes, if you can find that, go ahead and deworm her, or otherwise if you get dewormer from the feed store, ask them for a recommendation. .
Also make sure she is eating well. and drinking. You can tempt her with goodies if she's not. Mealworms, applesauce, yogurt, scrambled eggs, chopped fruit,
tomato. Not a lot, you don't want her to just eat the goodies and not her feed, but a little goodies mixed in will make her want to eat
and keep her cheerful. Also moistening the food helps. It is EXTREMELY important that she keeps on eating and drinking.

Sorry, having said that I see you already got one, lol.
roll.png
That should help. Just make sure she keeps eating and drinking.
Obviously, deworm the whole flock.

I have her inside with us so I can make sure she's eating and drinking. We go outside frequently so she can free range but she normally just falls asleep :( she hasn't shown much interest in her feed at all. I have given her watermelon and scrambled egg and she ate a little bit of each. Well just keep on doing what were doing and praying lots and lots. Thanks guys :/

I have her inside with us so I can make sure she's eating and drinking. We go outside frequently so she can free range but she normally just falls asleep
sad.png
she hasn't shown much interest in her feed at all. I have given her watermelon and scrambled egg and she ate a little bit of each. Well just keep on doing what were doing and praying lots and lots. Thanks guys
hmm.png
If she were mine I'd get some Safeguard for goats and dose her several days in a row at 20-50mg/kg orally 3-5 days (.2 to .5ml per 2.2 pounds). If she's not drinking/eating she needs to be tube fed or she will die. See link in my sig for tube feeding info.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom