Wormy if not processed fast?????

Sami

Chirping
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Barrie
Just was told by someone who processed their own birds that if you don't get them cleaned really fast they get full of worms???? What the heck!!! Anyone hear if this? I assume his birds had worms in the first place which leads me to my next question. How do you know if your birds have worms?

dead birds don't get worms

worm live in living birds

worms usually show up in poop

if you see in poop lethargic chicken out of breath etc etc

regular worming is advised before laying season around feb

even if you don't have worms deworm them as a precaution

Just was told by someone who processed their own birds that if you don't get them cleaned really fast they get full of worms???? What the heck!!! Anyone hear if this? I assume his birds had worms in the first place which leads me to my next question. How do you know if your birds have worms?

Is it possible he means maggots?

I know from sea fishing.... Once you kill the fish, you need to gut it soon ( or ice the entire thing down).

If you don't, and let the now dead animal cool down slowly and naturally, then the worms in the intestine get unhappy that their host is cooling down, and then start to migrate from the intestines into the flesh. :rolleyes:

Maybe he did the same sort of thing with his chickens?

If your chicken has a "normal" load of "normal" parasites, and you process properly (kill and then quickly remove all of the insides) the meat is perfect.

" normal" here means those parasites that are common and not greatly harmful as long as their numbers remain at a moderate level.

As an esteemed professor at Tulane Medical School used to say "Worms, there is nothing wrong with worms, as long as you have the right kind of worms, and not too many worms. I, myself, have worms."

Back
Top Bottom