Worried about baby ducks

If I get baby ducks, will my adult cats harm them? What to do?
They may, I would make sure to keep ducklings and cats separate until ducklings are at least 4 weeks old. Maybe set up your brooder so the cats can see them but are not able to get to them. Ducklings have no defense except you.
welcome-byc.gif

I did not let my cats even see the ducklings till the ducklings were taller than the cats, and keep them separated. Now that the ducks are grown, two cats are afraid of them and stay away, and one cat seems to really like them, but keeps her distance and only gets anywhere near them when I am around.

I did not let my cats even see the ducklings till the ducklings were taller than the cats, and keep them separated. Now that the ducks are grown, two cats are afraid of them and stay away, and one cat seems to really like them, but keeps her distance and only gets anywhere near them when I am around.
Thats a good idea too Amiga but I was thinking if she could secure her brooder well enough that letting the cats see the ducklings they would get use to them quicker.
hu.gif

Thats a good idea too Amiga but I was thinking if she could secure her brooder well enough that letting the cats see the ducklings they would get use to them quicker.
hu.gif
I think that would be a good thing, Miss Lydia. She could see what her cats' reaction is. Knowing mine, I decided to keep them separate. But we have BYC DF members whose cats are good buddies to their ducks. Go figure. Thanks for pointing out the OP's options.

I think that would be a good thing, Miss Lydia. She could see what her cats' reaction is. Knowing mine, I decided to keep them separate. But we have BYC DF members whose cats are good buddies to their ducks. Go figure. Thanks for pointing out the OP's options.
Thanks A, I think the most important thing here is a VERY secure brooder that cannot be turned over and the top pop off, safety and security when it comes to ducklings.

For the OP also remember that cats can reach in, so if they are allowed near the brooder, solid sides or very small (1/2") openings will be needed. And the top will need to be high enough that they can't reach down.

For the OP also remember that cats can reach in, so if they are allowed near the brooder, solid sides or very small (1/2") openings will be needed. And the top will need to be high enough that they can't reach down.
Or jump in from something taller, like a dresser or windowsill.

Back
Top Bottom