Worried about my babies

SpaceLamb

Songster
Mar 6, 2019
Houston, Texas
This last Saturday we noticed bloody poop in the brooder that holds our five three-week old chicks. I'd read a lot about cocci so we immediately began treating with Corid using the measurements of 1.5 tsp of powdered Corid per gallon of water. It's been two days and we're still seeing bloody poop in the brooder.
Is there anything else I can do to help them recover faster? I'm worried that if we don't see improvement soon that we're going to lose our babies.

This last Saturday we noticed bloody poop in the brooder that holds our five three-week old chicks. I'd read a lot about cocci so we immediately began treating with Corid using the measurements of 1.5 tsp of powdered Corid per gallon of water. It's been two days and we're still seeing bloody poop in the brooder.
Is there anything else I can do to help them recover faster? I'm worried that if we don't see improvement soon that we're going to lose our babies.
I don’t know anything about bloody poop, but hopefully one of the people on this site will help you out. There is tons of people on here that have a ton of experience! Also you can go to the learning center and Google too.

Can you post some photos of the poop?
What are you feeding them, including treats?
Is the Corid water the only water source?

You can give each one a direct oral drench in addition to making sure they are drinking the Corid water. Mix 1/2 teaspoon of Corid powder with 2 teaspoons of water. Direct dose each chick at 0.34ml per pound of weight once a day for 1-3 days.

Can you post some photos of the poop?
What are you feeding them, including treats?
Is the Corid water the only water source?

You can give each one a direct oral drench in addition to making sure they are drinking the Corid water. Mix 1/2 teaspoon of Corid powder with 2 teaspoons of water. Direct dose each chick at 0.34ml per pound of weight once a day for 1-3 days.
Not sure if the picture is going to upload or not but hopefully it will.
They’re eating non-medicated chick starter because we were told they were vaccinated for cocci and didn’t need medicated feed.
As for treats they’ve had some mealworms and yogurt and we brought them outside for about 30 minutes the other day so probably ate some stuff out there. The Corid water is all they have access to.

Will definitely try the higher dosage drench for them tonight.

Attachments

• BEAC67A8-7067-4CF4-BE1C-3863352D6D6E.jpeg
    BEAC67A8-7067-4CF4-BE1C-3863352D6D6E.jpeg
    456.4 KB · Views: 22
Not sure if the picture is going to upload or not but hopefully it will.
They’re eating non-medicated chick starter because we were told they were vaccinated for cocci and didn’t need medicated feed.
As for treats they’ve had some mealworms and yogurt and we brought them outside for about 30 minutes the other day so probably ate some stuff out there. The Corid water is all they have access to.

Will definitely try the higher dosage drench for them tonight.
Yes, I would try the drench in addition to the Corid water. That's still quite a bit of blood if they have been on Corid for a couple of days.
Keep us posted.

Yes, I would try the drench in addition to the Corid water. That's still quite a bit of blood if they have been on Corid for a couple of days.
Keep us posted.
Oh that was the first picture I took when I first noticed it Saturday. It's gotten a little better since then but still visibly bloody. Gave them the drench while they were having some outside time so hopefully that in addition to the corid water clears it up.

So quick update for anyone following this. Checked the towel the covers the raised up part of the brooder where they sleep for any bloody poop, because that's where we've been seeing it, and didn't see any. Not sure if the Corid was working fine and I overreacted too quickly or if the drench worked super fast overnight. Either way I'm glad to see improvement and hope this means they're recovering.
Thank y'all so much for the help!

So quick update for anyone following this. Checked the towel the covers the raised up part of the brooder where they sleep for any bloody poop, because that's where we've been seeing it, and didn't see any. Not sure if the Corid was working fine and I overreacted too quickly or if the drench worked super fast overnight. Either way I'm glad to see improvement and hope this means they're recovering.
Thank y'all so much for the help!
I would still drench them for 3 days. Make that Corid water available for the full 7 days, then reduce the follow up for another 5-7 days with the reduce dose as shown below.
The Corid will not hurt them. Coccidia will, it can be damaging to the intestines, so I would make sure they get full treatment.
AFTER you finish all the Corid treatment, give them poultry vitamins for a few days and I would also give them a little white cooked rice with buttermilk to help restore the gut.

upload_2019-4-10_19-1-38.png

Back
Top Bottom