Worried about one of my "pullets" ... Still early, will be four weeks on Thursday.

MisfitMarie

Songster
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
Portland, OR
I've had my eye on one of my pullets in particular for quite some time, because compared to the others, she has had certain differences:
- Always a more developed, larger comb (more obvious now than ever)
- Thicker legs
- VERY noisy and bossy around the others
- Outgoing, affectionate (loves to jump onto me)

I know some of these apply to females, too. I think it is more of the combination of these things that is worrying me. I can't keep roosters where I live. She is also my favorite (due to her big personality). I know that it's still extremely early (four weeks on Thursday)... so could these all just be silly coincidences. Does she still look like she could be a pullet to you?

I'm thinking a pullet but I'm new to raising chickens so don't take my word on it but my first thought was a girl

I'm going to say rooster. That comb looks exactly like my EE roosters comb at that age. I'd say keep watch for things like saddle feathers, and dark red splotches on the wings to be sure.

I'm going to say rooster. That comb looks exactly like my EE roosters comb at that age. I'd say keep watch for things like saddle feathers, and dark red splotches on the wings to be sure.

x2

Though the feather pattern suggests pullet, I'm going with cockerel based on behavior, the way it carries itself and a rather predominant comb for the age. You can also see a darker shade in the wattle.

Both the saddle feathers, which grow loosely from between their wings to the base of their tails and drape to either side and hackle feathers which grow loosely around the neck will be long, thin and pointy on a male whereas on a female, the feathers will grow tight to the body and have rounded tips. With Easter Eggers, it can be difficult to tell when looking at the hackles because the patterns on each feather can be pointed but the actual feather tips are rounded on a female.

Last edited:

x2

Though the feather pattern suggests pullet, I'm going with cockerel based on behavior, the way it carries itself and a rather predominant comb for the age. You can also see a darker shade in the wattle.

Both the saddle feathers, which grow loosely from between their wings to the base of their tails and drape to either side and hackle feathers which grow loosely around the neck will be long, thin and pointy on a male whereas on a female, the feathers will grow tight to the body and have rounded tips. With Easter Eggers, it can be difficult to tell when looking at the hackles because the patterns on each feather can be pointed but the actual feather tips are rounded on a female.

You two have shared my thoughts exactly... It will be a bit of a bummer, because he/she is my FAVORITE, such an affectionate and distinct personality. Even its voice is distinctly different from the other cheepers. I will try to stay positive and will have to post again in two weeks. The major red flag for me was the wattle coming in and the comb. No other chickie in my bunch has the sign of a wattle yet, and their combs are much smaller. The coloring of Tink's comb and wattle is also slightly darker, and the legs larger...etc etc etc. You all know the drill. ... I'll know for sure in a couple more weeks. Then, I am going to first try to rehome my sweet olive-egger rooster... =( Worst case scenario... dinner. =/

Back
Top Bottom