Worried about shivering chickens and sudden drop in temperature

clucknorris1

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2016
I wasn't planning to use a heat lamp (still not, except maybe just this once) - not a fan of the fire hazard or the idea that if they aren't used to the cold it can hurt them if suddenly the power goes out in the dead of winter.

However, we just had a major drop in temperature from yesterday. It's been hovering around 24-26 during the days and about 14 at night. Today, it's gone down to -13 and it will be colder tonight. I decided to keep them in today until they've acclimatized,but of the hens are shivering in the coop, which is well insulated (more than it should be - it actually needs more ventilation but that's for another discussion). I've been topping their water up with hot water and making sure they aren't getting frostbite, but watching my one hen shivering to no end trying to lay her third egg ever just doesn't sit right with me.

Would it make sense to put a bulb in there, probably just til tonight, to let them get a little warmth? It would be well supervised - I can see the coop from my office window, and we check on them often. I'm concerned that if they couldn't handle a power outage, a drop this dramatic might be too much. It could just be first time hen mom worries but hoping someone can shed some light on this. It's really ****** cold out there. I have a light that can hang from a hook on their ceiling, it's not super big though as we only have 4 chickens. Looking mostly for advice from people that generally don't heat or only sometimes heat their coops. I don't want to make it harder for them.

When there is a sudden drop in temperatures it is normal for some birds to look hunched and even to shiver. Shivering warms them up. Your birds will get used to the temperatures. Extra heat will interfere with that process. It can take about a week after a temperature drop for birds to be used to the new normal. Sand can be cold to stand on so bedding in cold weather can help.

When there is a sudden drop in temperatures it is normal for some birds to look hunched and even to shiver. Shivering warms them up. Your birds will get used to the temperatures. Extra heat will interfere with that process. It can take about a week after a temperature drop for birds to be used to the new normal. Sand can be cold to stand on so bedding in cold weather can help.

And I so like the straw for them to stand on and scratch through! They put it where they want it and I think it keeps them warmer walking around...I had one chicken kind of cuddling in it today...that sudden drop may mean they haven't quite acclmated yet, but they will! Most of us in the northern climes probably have chickens who didn't get a nice long cool-down to acclimate...weather has been a bit sudden drop into frigid temps for a lot of us. Mine acclimated through a molt of all things and were out scampering around today and roosting outside in minus zero temps during the day.

This has been quite a shocking year for my birds. One day it was 60 degrees the next we were below freezing and the temperatures keep dropping. We are suppose to warm to the 20's after our next round of bitter wind chills. Should feel like a heat wave and maybe my chickens will finally go outside. This is the first year they have stayed in the shed for such a long time. Crazy year.

Thanks! She was much better today. Didn't lay yesterday but it was fah-reezing and she just started laying this week so I'm not surprised. They all seem pretty cozy with the pine shavings in there. It's a lot messier though, still trying to come up with a good way to keep it nice and clean - maybe a variation of the deep litter method but it's a small coop with only 4 chickens so I worry about the air quality.

How about a heating pad or two on the walls and see if they snuggle up to it? I THINK that would be safer, just a thought...it is getting to -13F here tonight too. Also I am just putting out straw flakes everywhere for them to distribute at will..they are enjoying doing that...me and chickens are a team! I figure they will know where it should go...that is my task for today. I will deal with clean out or mess later...they are finding comfort under the coop at the moment...maybe line that nest box with a LOT of straw, up the walls etc? Poor chicken!

And
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
We've been doing a sand litter up until now, hubby is on his way back with another back of sand to make it a bit thicker which we will then cover with tons of pine shavings. Usually it doesn't get this cold until January so we were caught a bit off guard! I'd rather not buy a heating pad just for this if I can avoid it, but I could try heating up those magic neck heat pads with rice in them and cover it with a bag to help warm them up (or is that what you meant by a heating pad?). I'm trying to think if there's anything else I have that could safely be placed in there. I'll go look for the magic pad now.

I use sand......Not to start a debate but they are fine....I run a heat lamp also....Not warm in my coop by no means...My water ices up but never freezes....Well vented....2x4 Roosts flat side up...Keeps toes toasty.............-22 Celsius with a windchill of -32 this morning.....All my Birds are Healthy and happy.....

Cheers!

I wasn't planning to use a heat lamp (still not, except maybe just this once) - not a fan of the fire hazard or the idea that if they aren't used to the cold it can hurt them if suddenly the power goes out in the dead of winter.

However, we just had a major drop in temperature from yesterday. It's been hovering around 24-26 during the days and about 14 at night. Today, it's gone down to -13 and it will be colder tonight. I decided to keep them in today until they've acclimatized,but of the hens are shivering in the coop, which is well insulated (more than it should be - it actually needs more ventilation but that's for another discussion). I've been topping their water up with hot water and making sure they aren't getting frostbite, but watching my one hen shivering to no end trying to lay her third egg ever just doesn't sit right with me.

Would it make sense to put a bulb in there, probably just til tonight, to let them get a little warmth? It would be well supervised - I can see the coop from my office window, and we check on them often. I'm concerned that if they couldn't handle a power outage, a drop this dramatic might be too much. It could just be first time hen mom worries but hoping someone can shed some light on this. It's really ****** cold out there. I have a light that can hang from a hook on their ceiling, it's not super big though as we only have 4 chickens. Looking mostly for advice from people that generally don't heat or only sometimes heat their coops. I don't want to make it harder for them.
The drop in temperature is not what's causing the shivering. I think it's from lack of ventilation, then adding hot water - making it too humid in your coop. You know how you get that bone-chilling cold when it's humid in the winter, and how it's not nearly so bad when the air is dry? That's what it's like for your chickens. Chickens will get frostbite when it's too humid in the coop, even when it's relatively warm out. Since I quit closing up my coop and adding heat, I've had happier, healthier, more comfortable chickens in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom