Worried about winter

Ducklord123

Chirping
Mar 31, 2020
Hello! I have a concern about a couple of my chickens health this winter and I'm hoping some more experienced people can give some advice.... I have a bantam rooster and his favourite hen sleeping inside our house at night. This is due to the neighbours disliking early morning crowing... So these 2 little guys sleep in our house... This has worked quite well but my concern is now with it being much colder outside then inside they will get cold during the day when out in their pen. I'm worried about them getting ill or hurt from this... does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

I think they will be okay. It is just the same as you - you are okay to go from warm to cold - we do it all the time.
But, if they are showing any signs of having trouble with the warm cold, warm cold - you might need to think about keeping them inside all the time.
I think that is what you should do on super cold days - but on the mild days - in and out will work fine.

In western South Dakota - this week we were in the 70's, next week we won't go out of 30. Even when it is in the 70's, at night it gets down to the mid twenties. Does not phase chickens.

Mrs K

Thankyou all for replying! I live in the UK so it rarely goes below 0°c during the day. We are allowed to keep a rooster but the neighbours have complained to the council who have said that as long as there is no crowing during the night and early hours we can still have the rooster. So he has to stay inside at night. My main concern was that the other day I had gone outside and I was really cold and I just worried that since they came inside at night they wernt used to the cold as much. They do have access to a shelter during the day that is full of straw to keep them warm too. I will keep an eye on them to see if there are any sighs of illness as it gets colder!

Back
Top Bottom