Worried..Newly hatched Silkie Chicks

Amyu8388

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2023
First time posting...hope I'm doing this right. I hatched 3 silkies this morning( first hatch at around 330AM, last two hatched at approx. 9 & 9:30AM.) Shipped eggs. They hatched on day 21, as they should, but 1 of my babies pipped sometime early Friday morning and he was the last to hatch @ around 930AM this morning...he did it all on his own but seemed like he had a rougher time and he hatched with a string of bloody umbilical cord still attached. It was not actively bleeding and he didn't have any wide open wounds on his tummy or anything so I waited a couple of hrs for everyone to dry and now have them in the brooder(most of that umbilical cord came off, there is a tiny little bit of cord, but I'm hopeful that will dry up the rest of the way & fall off) They are under their eco glow and I have showed them their water and then their food(my first hatched pecked at the food for about a second and went back under plate) but all three are staying under the plate sleeping, peeping some. I guess I'm worried cause I feel like they should be running around more...should I be worried or let them sleep??!! Soo sorry for the book, I'm horrible at making a short story long!!🤪

no theyre going to sleep and take it easy like any baby for a day or two .. also small batches tend to be less active and alittle slower to, completely normal ...

Yes it’s completely normal. I also noticed that chicks with a harder time hatching do take longer to perk up. My Silkies usual are running around by the 3rd/ 4th day

no theyre going to sleep and take it easy like any baby for a day or two .. also small batches tend to be less active and alittle slower to, completely normal ...
Ok good, makes me feel better...just want to make sure there isn't something I should be doing, thank you for replying!! I'll post some pics in the next few days..

Back
Top Bottom