Would 4' fence suffice for geese range?

TerriLaChicks

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Central Louisiana
I have a completely enclosed 6' x 40' run & coop to enclose my geese (4 goslings due in April) until they get full grown & to lock them up at night after that, but would 4' fencing work to contain them while they range during the day after they are grown?

or would they fly over it? I'd like to fence in about 1/2 an acre. The reason being we live near a highway & I don't want them wandering out on the road. If I could use fencing shorter than 6' I could afford to fence in even more area for them.

What about livestock fencing-would that work?

Opinions and advice are greatly appreciated.

What kind of geese?

My biggest ones run and flap but they can't get their big booties off the ground much less over a fence. LOL

Younger smaller geese will test their wings and often fly away.

I know someone who didn't follow directions they asked me for and purchased 4 geese. Did not lock them up in a new home for more than a day. Did not heed warnings about teaching where home is, etc. They all flew away. She literally watched them take flight and wing it bye-bye. LOL

I have mine in a hog-panel pen (30" high I think). They've been there all winter and just started getting out due to snow piling higher. There's only about 24" keeping them in now!

I've been successful containing them with livestock panels as well as welded-wire. My geese are Buffs and I have one Sebbie. For the most part they stay in their place unless something scares them over the fence.

For my adult geese I have a 4' fenced in area for nights and they free range during the day. I have had only one fly over and that's because the rest walked out the gate and she was to stupid to figure out where the gate was. She flapped her wings for quite a bit before getting off the ground. Then her feet caught the very top of the fence and she toppled back to the ground on the other side. Not very gracefull lol.. what was so funny was she stood up, shook her body, honked once, and then gracefully marched off.
lau.gif
She wouldn't even look at the other geese. I think that was one embarassed goose. I don't know what breed you have, but I have Embdens and Toulouse.

Julie

Back
Top Bottom