Mar 29, 2021
Hi all, i have a pet white silkie and my girlfriend wants to dye her wingtips and tail for easter fun. My concern is that will make her much more visible to predators as she and my other chicken have free range of the back yard during the day. The only predators we have to worry about in our area are raptors, and the gf says her white feathers already stick out so it wouldnt make a difference. Im just curious as to what yall think, as ive heard white is too unnatural a color for hawks preference, which im also skeptical of. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20221113_192228.jpg
    20221113_192228.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 32
I lost one blue chick to a hawk yesterday. The 37 black and brown chicks are so far untouched

Last year I lost 4 Egyptian Fayoumi to unknown predators. Their bodies are half white. My 50+ chickens of camoflaged colors are untouched

If your chicken is already white I really don't think it could get much worse

I think if the color is bright yes. And around here even white will attract the hawks. They have excellent eye sight and if they are hungry they can hit fast. Maybe get some over head protection for your little ones because hawks come in fast and hard and can see a lot better than we can. I put chicken wire over my run so they can't swoop in. My last run had a roof which kept them out. Which ever works best for you. You can even use netting tightly netted to keep them out. Hope this helps out. Good luck and God bless

I saw a juvenile hawk dive bomb a white plastic bag stuck in the brush on the on the edge of the woods, young birds of prey try to catch anything that moves, regardless of color, so I don’t think being white is any safer than being rainbow, but I would stay away from any colors that could look like blood or injuries.

Back
Top Bottom