Would Ducks get swept away?

Apr 13, 2021
Australia
Been thinking of getting some ducks to wander around where I am staying at the moment but I gots a question for ya. So theres a rushing river near by its not super fast an aggressive but it can be if its been raining harder then normal, peakin ducks or runner ducks, can they get themselves back to shore and look after themselves if they go in a flowing river? do they just get swept away an lost or they find dey way home? experiences? knowledge thanks.

i don’t know but i’m going to follow your thread to find out because it’s an interesting thought , I can picture them getting swept away

I hatched five ducklings for a friend. I gave them to her when they were a month old. After another month or so she let them swim in the river that backed up to her house. They never came home again. Her son saw at least one of them down stream while kayaking later in the summer. So, yes, they will be taken by the current. They may not die from it immediately, but still.

Yes the river here is mountain as well. The current would sweep them away on a normal day but I was wondering if they would find there way back on there own an just it would just become something they do. But if it rains the river can be very strong. I guess they wouldn't come back either way, so yeah. @Miss Lydia

Yes the river here is mountain as well. The current would sweep them away on a normal day but I was wondering if they would find there way back on there own an just it would just become something they do. But if it rains the river can be very strong. I guess they wouldn't come back either way, so yeah. @Miss Lydia
I wouldn't want to chance it, there could be things like them getting out of the river and not knowing where they are they wander too far from it to get back predators would love that.
The current keeping them from getting back home.

Back
Top Bottom