Would like to know...

With clean legs?

I pondered Cochin in the background due to the bright yellow legs and somewhat soft feather pattern...but specified mix because of the clean legs.

If I have my genetics down right (have not bred Cochin mixes, but have experienced Marans mixes)...A first generation mix of Cochin and clean legged would give lighter legs, as only 1 feathered leg gene would be present. By the 2nd generation, if bred back to a clean legged bird, you could end up with some with no leg feathers but possibly still have some bright legs. Some could have softer feathers...Punnett Square math kicks in.

I also think it could be a Swedish Flower Hen....or a highly colored mix.

Hard to know from this photo with no background, no age. Mix breeds can bring a lot of surprising patterns with the right mix.

LofMc

Last edited:
If I have my genetics down right (have not bred Cochin mixes, but have experienced Marans mixes)...A first generation mix of Cochin and clean legged would give lighter legs, as only 1 feathered leg gene would be present. By the 2nd generation, if bred back to a clean legged bird, you could end up with some with no leg feathers but possibly still have some bright legs. Some could have softer feathers...Punnett Square math kicks in.

LofMc

And then weird things happen that shouldn't...I have a bantam cochin hen I bred here. Both parents had decently feathered legs and good type, and I'm positive of the parentage. She is totally clean legged and not especially rounded, you'd never peg her as a cochin. But, she loves to brood chicks and that's all I really cared about....all the other birds I hatched from the parents (a dozen or so total) were good looking birds....
idunno.gif

I pondered Cochin in the background due to the bright yellow legs and somewhat soft feather pattern...but specified mix because of the clean legs.

I also think it could be a Swedish Flower Hen....or a highly colored mix.

Hard to know from this photo with no background, no age.  Mix breeds can bring a lot of surprising patterns with the right mix.

LofMc

And then weird things happen that shouldn't...I have a bantam cochin hen I bred here. Both parents had decently feathered legs and good type, and I'm positive of the parentage. She is totally clean legged and not especially rounded, you'd never peg her as a cochin. But, she loves to brood chicks and that's all I really cared about....all the other birds I hatched from the parents (a dozen or so total) were good looking birds....:idunno
I know nothing on genetics and appreciate the examples. I'm still in the learning in everything. Thanks
1f600.png

Oh yes. He does crow but not to often right now and it isn't to loud. Hoping it doesn't get louder and more often. Don't think one of our neighbors would be to happy about that.

Back
Top Bottom