Would love some thoughts on my coop design!

Faerhii

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Western Arkansas/River Valley
My Coop
My Coop
I have multiple of these coop/run set ups, but just added a grow out integration pen to my coop closest to the house so I took pictures of that one. The other 3 are in different stages of construction so changes would be easy. :)

I'm really proud of what hubby and I did.. But I'd love constructive feed back as well! We're always up for improving. Also, our integration pen doesn't have a coop yet, so the babies are just having afternoon play dates for now.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1585434537756.jpeg
0405201321_HDR.jpg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1586388954967.jpeg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1584834102942.jpeg
0307201611_HDR.jpg
0307201607_HDR.jpg

looks great, how many chickens are you set up for?
Right now the completed coop has 25 chickens in it at roughly 15sq ft of yard space per bird. By the time I'm done, I'll have almost 1800 sq ft of yard over 4 coops without factoring in the integration pens that will just be additional yard when not in use. :)
Chicken wire is not predator proof.
How's that poop 'ramp' under the roosts working out?
Do any of them try to sleep in that way up high nest bank?
The bottom 3' are 1/2" hardware cloth, and the top 4' and roof is chicken wire.. We did it because it's $250 in wire that way vs almost $450 to do all hardware cloth. I'm going to look into cheaper sources for hardware cloth, though.

The poop slide has been working great! The mess you see in the ramp is about 4 clean outs (full trays) worth. It tales about 3-4 weeks for 25 of them to fill the tray. I really need to get in there and clean the ramp though..

And I get about 5 eggs a day in the top boxes, I'll likely take them off when the next coop/yard combo is done and put it in the new coop.

Right now the completed coop has 25 chickens in it at roughly 15sq ft of yard space per bird. By the time I'm done, I'll have almost 1800 sq ft of yard over 4 coops without factoring in the integration pens that will just be additional yard when not in use. :)

The bottom 3' are 1/2" hardware cloth, and the top 4' and roof is chicken wire.. We did it because it's $250 in wire that way vs almost $450 to do all hardware cloth. I'm going to look into cheaper sources for hardware cloth, though.

The poop slide has been working great! The mess you see in the ramp is about 4 clean outs (full trays) worth. It tales about 3-4 weeks for 25 of them to fill the tray. I really need to get in there and clean the ramp though..

And I get about 5 eggs a day in the top boxes, I'll likely take them off when the next coop/yard combo is done and put it in the new coop.
What ground predators do you have in your area? Chicken wire on the top is fine and HC around bottom is good. Is there an apron around base to prevent digging? May consider welded wire for top 4ft of walls instead of chicken wire.

Also thats a lot of nesting boxes. I have 14 nesting boxes and they only use 4-5. I now use 2 of them for food and water. You may want to remove some for storage of feed, water, misc.

Just some things to consider. Otherwise it looks great!

[/QUOTE]

The whole set up looks good!
I would probably take out the nest boxes opposite the roost bars first, just to give myself more room to walk around. I have 14 layers right now with 5 nest boxes and they always fight over 2. :D You could probably save some time and money by removing two sets from that coop to use in the other coops you build. I would keep the bottom one and lower it a few inches, then lose the ramp (again, just to give myself more room to work). The chickens will be able to hop up to the boxes easily. Keep us up to date on your project.

Last edited:
What ground predators do you have in your area? Chicken wire on the top is fine and HC around bottom is good. Is there an apron around base to prevent digging? May consider welded wire for top 4ft of walls instead of chicken wire.

Also thats a lot of nesting boxes. I have 14 nesting boxes and they only use 4-5. I now use 2 of them for food and water. You may want to remove some for storage of feed, water, misc.

Just some things to consider. Otherwise it looks great!
Ground predators consist of loose dogs, raccoons, and possibly a possum or skunk. We are fortunate to have not seen anything bigger on our security cameras. Honestly, we haven't even seen any raccoons, possums, or skunks. We have a 12" outward pointing apron buried and the edge is topped off with a landscaping timber. Welded wire is a great idea! I'll look into it. :) I'd still likely need chicken wire for the roof though.

I was planning to remove the upper box, but leave the other two. Both sets get used pretty heavily, as we have 24 birds and they don't all lay on top of eachother. They only seem to like 3-5 eggs per box then move on to a new one. Is 12 for 24 hens too many?

I think it looks lovely. I have 11 hens and two big nest boxes, they have shavings on the floor and straw in the boxes and it seems to be working well. Are those perches in the pen? I think that is a great idea. Can you post another picture of your perch if you have it? I use 2x4 inside my coop but I have the 4" side as the perch. Its cold here and I think it gives them room to hunker down and keep warm.

Ground predators consist of loose dogs, raccoons, and possibly a possum or skunk. We are fortunate to have not seen anything bigger on our security cameras. Honestly, we haven't even seen any raccoons, possums, or skunks. We have a 12" outward pointing apron buried and the edge is topped off with a landscaping timber. Welded wire is a great idea! I'll look into it. :) I'd still likely need chicken wire for the roof though.

I was planning to remove the upper box, but leave the other two. Both sets get used pretty heavily, as we have 24 birds and they don't all lay on top of eachother. They only seem to like 3-5 eggs per box then move on to a new one. Is 12 for 24 hens too many?
The chicken wire top (roof) is fine. It protects them from avian predators and in my experience, climbing predators like raccoons wont go out on the "soft" unstable wire roof.
12 boxes should be plenty.

Is 12 for 24 to many?
I think so but you need to do what ‘your’ chickens prefer. I know materials add up quickly in dollars so I would try using two of the sets in other coops then, if needed, build another smaller set of 2 or 3 to go in that coop if they need it.

Back
Top Bottom