Would love to see pictures of your outside access nest boxes!!

Mahlzeit

Songster
12 Years
Jul 16, 2007
Long Island NY
I am planning out my new chicken coop and run design and have been thinking about making my nest boxes accessible from the outside of the coop. I would love to see pictures of your outside access nest boxes to help me figure out which design to make on my coop. Thanks in advance!!

Very simple 2 14x14 boxes on the right, just wish I would have been able to have it reachable from outside the run.

Here you go. I built mine out on the drive and then attached the boxes onto the coop. The coop is not insulated but the nest boxes have rigid insulation on the sides, the bottom, and the lid. I also added weather stripping to keep out drafts and a lip on the lid as well. The lid is heavy and does not need to be latched down. It flips up against the coop so that it does not need to be held when collecting eggs. Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Here you go. I built mine out on the drive and then attached the boxes onto the coop. The coop is not insulated but the nest boxes have rigid insulation on the sides, the bottom, and the lid. I also added weather stripping to keep out drafts and a lip on the lid as well. The lid is heavy and does not need to be latched down. It flips up against the coop so that it does not need to be held when collecting eggs. Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for taking the time to write about how you made it and showing me :)

Mine doesn't leak. Floor space is roughly 15x15 inches. The opening is 12" without the lip to keep nesting material inside. Hope this helps
big_smile.png

This is supposed to be a roll out nest box. I borrowed the interior specifications from a gentlemen on this site who goes by Opa. I later lined the nests with astroturf like inserts and put a pool noodle bumper across the bottom. Store bought eggs roll right down. I had to test several for my own amusement. I've got a few more weeks before my ladies put it to the real test. I hope they like it.

Back
Top Bottom