Would these work?

That could definitely work too! I forgot about that. Though I thought I read some have chemicals on them? But I'm sure that's an easy fix and way cheaper. I never even thought of a playhouse! That's such a great idea! I actually thought of making it where our tree house used to be haha but thanks so much, you've been very helpful. :) I guess I just kind of worried it had to be like the exact size and all new wood and perfect and all that, you know? But really it's probably way easier than I'm thinking it is

My 3 tractors aren't pretty or fancy but they are functional, went up in a hurry and have already lasted thru 2 major moves. Now out in our pony pastures so that the chickens can amend all the sand we have on this property!

Here's pics of ours -

The bucket has the bottom removed and when the chickens are ready, I have pasture fence up for them or I'm ready - we just pop that lid off during the day and they can get in/out w/o any problems. Keeping the door shut keeps the ponies out of the pen, but goats can get thru the bucket (the babies can anyway!)...

"Blooie" is in WY and they built their hoop to withstand cold & snow w/o problems - plus others pictured in this thread - New Hoop Coop

Here's another - Our Hoop House

This one is HUGE and really nice! Permanent Hoop Coop

Dutch Hollow Hoop Coop

Amazing how the same type of thing can be styled and built so differently - I want to read this one. Wish I could weld! Our Hoop coops

I has inspiration from this one - Egg Shaped Hoop Coop

And there are others if you search on the Coops page!!

Yours looks awesome. :) so is that the whole coop then? Roost and nest box are somewhere in there? I think I see the one in the corner? Assuming it's either warm there or you winterize it? Speaking of which, thanks for all the awesome links, I'll look at them. :)
Seems like an awesome idea. :)

Have you talked to your father about this?

What kind of surgery is he getting? Is he able to help before? How long of a recovery time will he have?

The hoop coop looks fairly easy and quick to setup ... Add 36" tall 19 gauge. 1/2" hardware cloth to the bottom 18"'of the sides, let the other 18" lay flat on the ground to prevent digging (or bury it) and you will have a very predator resistant coop/run!

If you could get/scrounge some used greenhouse clear/opaque covering ... They would be more than warm enough in their down coats for the winter! They still do need some ventilation though. I would stake the bottom of the hoop coop to the ground.

Bumping the roof from the inside should cause the snow to slide off, or use a push broom from the outside ...

Go to post #214 and watch the video ... It is taken inside of a hoop coop in the winter ... In the teens outside ... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/643302/results-from-first-year-with-deep-litter-method/210

Another thing to think about is your day old chicks could be in a brooder for the first couple of months ... Or you could move them into your current dog house while you build ... While small, they are not full grown till 6 months old or so ... They do not need to go directly into their permanent home.

Not specifically, no. I should probably do that.

I think he's getting a hip or knee replacement, I think hip and it could be double but I can't remember. I don't think though, I think he's doing the other after. He could probably help before but I just need the money or to find the material, though with a hoop coop that'd probably be easier. I think it's 4-6 or 8 weeks.

The hardware cloth definitely seems like a great idea!

That would be great if it would be warm enough. :) although I am a little worried about the ventilation, especially if I cover it with plastic.

Easy snow removal is definitely a bonus though.

Thanks for the list, I'll go find the video. :)

And that's a good point too! I hadn't even thought of keeping them in longer or in the dog house, I just always hear how they feather at about 8 weeks or a bit sooner and you just put them right outside.

The hoop coop sounds like the easiest solution for you, inexpensive ... Fairly easy to set up ... Easy to expand (just buy another panel or three!) You probably could do it mostly by yourself, but would be easier with a helping steadying hand ... And maybe need a hand with a tarp if it is windy out ...

Another thing to think about is push come to shove ... You could slide your exsisting dog house inside of the hoop coop also ...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/dutch-hollow-hoop-coop

Here's another one ... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/stardust-farms-hoop-coop

Here is a very heavy duty one with a lot of detail ... And more work on your part to build https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/permanent-hoop-coop-guide

Last edited:
I think you're right and I can't believe I never thought of it sooner. I guess I was just so caught up the traditional coop thing or that it had to be like that, didn't even think of other options. This does seem like a great one. And there's probably ways to make it blend in or look neater or whatever too.

I never even thought of putting the dog house in but that's a great idea! I think I actually thought of a new spot for the coop. I might just turn the dog house around and put the coop right there. I'll get pictures or video in a second.

I'll check out all the links too, already read a couple of the others but didn't finish yet amd.will read these too. Thank you. :)

Oh and I actually have two brothers too so they can help if my dad can't. Although I don't think they know we're getting chickens yet (older one moved out and is in grad school/working, younger one is in college. Same school actually) but they'll find out soon enough... XD

I don't know how much they know about construction/carpentry either for a regular coop but something like this they could probably help with.

Oh and about the dog house, would just sort of be extra shelter type thing?

The dog house idea was for just a temporary shelter if they needed to be out of the house, or where ever your gonna brood them, until you get everything done ... If you ran out of time or money that is ... Winter is coming soon!

They don't need roosts or nesting boxes right away, for example ... You looking at near the end of the year for them to be feathered out, and you may have a bunch of snow by then ... Maybe ... If you celebrate Xmas ... You could ask for chickeny stuff ... To get your coop up and running ...

Blooie mentioned above raises her chicks out in her hoop coop, and let's her broodie hatch chicks year round, even in the winter in Wyoming!

Back
Top Bottom