Would this be considered a satin silkie?

Now that is interesting. If I've got my feather genetics down, the silkied gene is recessive. Meaning, that in order for a chick to come out with normal feathers, one of the parents needs to have normal feathering as well, since the normal feathering gene is dominant. So, if you do not have any other satins, or any bantam hens that lay creme colored eggs, it was probably a leghorn. @NatJ @MysteryChicken
Yes, I agree with you that one parent must have normal feathering. I see @MysteryChicken explained it nicely.

I have brahmas and leghorns but the eggs that I hatched out were silkie eggs (small and cream colored compared to the other larger white or brown)

What color Brahmas and what color Leghorns? (I am asking about the color of their feathers, not their eggs.)

That would have to mean the leghorn just laid an abnormally small egg but I guess it could be a possibility!

If your Leghorns are all white, then the chick probably does not come from one of them. If you have some other color of Leghorn (white with black dots, or brown, or something else yet), then yes a Leghorn could be the mother.

Personally, I think a Brahma laying a lighter-than-usual egg is more likely, but I can't be certain about that.

Yes, I agree with you that one parent must have normal feathering. I see @MysteryChicken explained it nicely.

What color Brahmas and what color Leghorns? (I am asking about the color of their feathers, not their eggs.)

If your Leghorns are all white, then the chick probably does not come from one of them. If you have some other color of Leghorn (white with black dots, or brown, or something else yet), then yes a Leghorn could be the mother.

Personally, I think a Brahma laying a lighter-than-usual egg is more likely, but I can't be certain about that.

I agree. The egg points towards the brahma. But the bird would be bigger than its siblings, and I'd also expect better leg feathering. Of course that depends on how much feather the parents have on the legs

My leghorns are all brown. Brahmas are the typical white/black.

I agree. The egg points towards the brahma. But the bird would be bigger than its siblings, and I'd also expect better leg feathering. Of course that depends on how much feather the parents have on
This chick is the same size as it’s siblings. From my understanding silkie showgirls are a cross between turken & silkies. Could this have anything to do with it? Obviously my rooster isn’t the most well bred showgirl around I’m not sure about his parents or anything about him someone posted him for free & I took him.
I was under the impression that mom was one of these 2 black silkies.
My rooster is pretty low on the pecking order & although in the coop together my silkies and my big birds are 2 completely different flocks, they don’t intermingle and it’s very rare that I find a fertilized egg from one of my big girls.

Attachments

• IMG_4536.jpeg
    IMG_4536.jpeg
    503.2 KB · Views: 11
My leghorns are all brown. Brahmas are the typical white/black.

In that case, yes one of the Leghorns could have been the mother of that chick, but so could one of the Brahmas. Sometimes colors can rule out one or another possible parent, but not in this case.

This chick is the same size as it’s siblings. From my understanding silkie showgirls are a cross between turken & silkies. Could this have anything to do with it? Obviously my rooster isn’t the most well bred showgirl around I’m not sure about his parents or anything about him someone posted him for free & I took him.
I was under the impression that mom was one of these 2 black silkies.
My rooster is pretty low on the pecking order & although in the coop together my silkies and my big birds are 2 completely different flocks, they don’t intermingle and it’s very rare that I find a fertilized egg from one of my big girls.

Since the "showgirl" rooster is the only rooster you have, he must be the father.
He has silkie-type feathers.
With him as the father, the only way for a chick to have normal (non-silkie) feathers is to have a normal-feathered mother.

Considering what colors of Leghorns and Brahmas you have, and the chick being the same size as its siblings, I think the mother most likely is a Leghorn, with second-choice being a Brahma.

It doesn't really matter whether your rooster is "well bred" or not, and it doesn't matter what breeds are in his background, because we can tell just by looking that he has the silkie type feathers. Seeing those feathers tells us enough about his genetics to know that the chick must have a normal-feathered mother.

Ya'll lost me with the cross-breeding as I don't do that but do have a few satin silkies which is when I started 7 years ago, it was half satins, half frizzles, so I had the two opposite feather types lol. I couldn't tell you what happens breeding those as I bought silkie eggs off of eBay 3 times in there as well, and wound up with a few of every type of silkie.

As of late, I'm getting serious now, and have gravitated to the bearded/vaulted ones just as a personal preference. For color genetics, if you're ever interested, I refer to this thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...n-color-genetics.1219858/page-2#post-19511066

Back
Top Bottom