Would this work for roosts?

Crazy4mypeeps

Chirping
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Nebraska
I read somewhere on here that someone was going to used pvc for their roosts with non slip on the top. This got me to thinking a bit, how to create a non slip surface without "sticking" something to it.

My though is to use either the under coat for vehicles that sprays on or bed liner spray on. You can buy them both in spray cans. I think that if you rough up the surface of the PVC and spray this stuff on, it would stick pretty well. Would they peck it off and eat it? Or would it stick well enough to not come off?

Tell me, good idea or bad idea???

Quote:
Hah...bad idea, I know cause I tried it on a smaller cage I was using for Juvenile chickens to introduce them to the flock. I ended up using the pvc pipe, but I had to wrap it with baler twine sealed with carpenter's glue to make a roost they could use.

36435_introcage.jpg

Thanks, I figured that someone here had been there done that! LOL

My biggest challenge is accommodating the two ameraucanas that have no toes. I'm trying to figure out something that would be comfortable for them.

Last edited:
I have used 1 1/2" pvc for roosts. I did use the self adhesive 3m vinyl antislip for traction. Supported every 24" and anchored with 1 1/2" pipe brackets. Still in use 6 yrs later and easy to clean. Doing it again in my new coop.

I'm just not sure about something round and slick for my two girls with no toes. Nubbs especially because she's just got short nubs. I'm trying to figure out what would be best for them to roost on. I currently have 2x4's but they don't seem comfortable and seem to like round logs to roost on. Which I have two of them big enough to put in the coop, just waiting to get all the bark off them.

Last edited:
Maybe cut a couple of branches down and fasten them in the coop for them to use. I have a long branch in my run they like to roost on during the day, then 2 X 4's in the hen-house for at night time.

Good luck!

I use a 2x4. Not sure where you live, but something flat lets them cover their feet in the winter, helping to prevent frostbite. Maybe composite decking? You shouldn't need alot. Although that makes for $$ roost. Perhaps something from the vinyl fence section at lowes or home depot?

Quote:
I used branches from my cottonwood tree, about 3 inches around and attached them to the corners of the pen 1 at 12 inches 1 at 23 and 1 at 32inches high
they love them and so far I have not seen anyone slip off? in the coop I used 2x4's and 2 x3's a 2x6 ripped in half.. them work very well too.

Back
Top Bottom