Wound advice dog bite, concussion graphic photos

Banana01

Songster
Feb 18, 2021
San Martin, Peru
Thank you in advance, I am a bit emotional for this hen because she has been my first hen. This post contains two different injuries, but I hope to answer a few questions, that's why its grouped together.

About 7 days ago, I discovered a very deep dog bite injury when I noticed dried blood. The hen was actually doing okay walking/eating, so I cleaned the wound and trimmed feathers, and applied Violet. Then a couple days later, the hen fell about five feet from a perch and hasnt walked since despite no injury to legs. Today I noticed her eyes dilated constant, but the color has returned to her face a little bit.

Fast forward to the photos are from today. Questions:

1. Should I try to peel off the dry and scabbing violet, I peeled what I could without causing pain, what is left seems to cause mild discomfort when I peel away at it. It may bleed minorly, but I can put an antiseptic over it if I do get it peeled.

2. Thoughts on the wound? Is it possibly going to heal without stiches, should it get stitched?

3. Concussion question. Her eyes are dilated funny, they appear to zoom in and out but are stuck at this dilation. Will a concussion heal?

Today, she eats by herself and drinks because I am manually placing her by her food and putting her to bed at night. She cannot walk, just stumbles. I have started antibiotics yesterday.

Any hope for her? She is over 2 years old and has been the mother and grandmother to dozens of my other birds. She and my current rooster I will probably put down together if that is necessary because they would want that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211019-130820_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211019-130820_Gallery.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20211019-130845_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211019-130845_Gallery.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20211019-130859_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211019-130859_Gallery.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20211019-130911_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211019-130911_Gallery.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20211019-130935_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211019-130935_Gallery.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20211019-130922_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211019-130922_Gallery.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for calling the experts. I think she is going downhill. I'm almost sure there is something wrong in her head the way her pupils move. If she doesnt show signs of improvement in the morning, I am going to make arrangements for her soup recipe thursday.

I feel bad but in my heart I think I know she is ready to go. She was doing very well until she fell, now she is like a vegetative state, although able to eat and drink. I still am wondering if there may be hope though.

I'm sorry about your hen @Banana01

It does sound like she was injured further from falling or possibly suffered some type of neurological episode which caused the fall - maybe she suffered some internal injury or spinal injury from the dog attack.
I'm not sure what you have available to you. I would give her either vitamin E oil/gel cap or give a treat of food that is rich in vitamin E - like sunflower hearts/seeds, fish (tuna/sardine/salmon). A little cooked egg would be good too.
She's eating a little which is good, but sometimes that's instinctual.

The wound from what I can see is healing, it will heal inside out. I would not remove any scabs unless you detect a bad odor or pus which would indicate infection. I would not close the wounds with stitching, you risk trapping bacteria and chicken wound like this will eventually close up on their own.

I think your choice of using Violet was fine. Generally you want to keep wounds moist, but since she's outside, having a dry wound may be a better way to go.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

I'm sorry about your hen @Banana01

It does sound like she was injured further from falling or possibly suffered some type of neurological episode which caused the fall - maybe she suffered some internal injury or spinal injury from the dog attack.
I'm not sure what you have available to you. I would give her either vitamin E oil/gel cap or give a treat of food that is rich in vitamin E - like sunflower hearts/seeds, fish (tuna/sardine/salmon). A little cooked egg would be good too.
She's eating a little which is good, but sometimes that's instinctual.

The wound from what I can see is healing, it will heal inside out. I would not remove any scabs unless you detect a bad odor or pus which would indicate infection. I would not close the wounds with stitching, you risk trapping bacteria and chicken wound like this will eventually close up on their own.

I think your choice of using Violet was fine. Generally you want to keep wounds moist, but since she's outside, having a dry wound may be a better way to go.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

Thank you for replying, I decided to leave the scab alone thinking it will heal underneath and fall off. Today her condition is slightly better, not by any meaningful amount, but enough tobgive hope.

I will keep her alive unless her condition deteriorates. Her falling is what caused her to be unable to walk. The wound is not a problem anymore. I can give her some fish, that is a great idea and I have to go feed her now. Thanks again.

Thank you for replying, I decided to leave the scab alone thinking it will heal underneath and fall off. Today her condition is slightly better, not by any meaningful amount, but enough tobgive hope.

I will keep her alive unless her condition deteriorates. Her falling is what caused her to be unable to walk. The wound is not a problem anymore. I can give her some fish, that is a great idea and I have to go feed her now. Thanks again.
I hope she recovers quickly. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom