Wound care… dog attack!

Hi, I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your losses. :hugs You're doing great with your girls, @Wyorp Rock is the best help you could get for guiding you through this. Do you know who owns the dog? Is it worth reporting and trying to get compensation for your losses? Replacing laying hens is expensive, depending on the breed, starting at $25 each! Best wishes for speedy recoveries on your three precious girls!

I would just use the ointment to keep the wounds moist, but if you wish, you could alternate between the spray and ointment.

Good idea about the food. That gets them up and moving a little too.

They look pretty content and cozy under there, you may have to make them an apartment:D
Thank you!
And yea, I fear they may never want to go back out☺️❤️

Hi, I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your losses. :hugs You're doing great with your girls, @Wyorp Rock is the best help you could get for guiding you through this. Do you know who owns the dog? Is it worth reporting and trying to get compensation for your losses? Replacing laying hens is expensive, depending on the breed, starting at $25 each! Best wishes for speedy recoveries on your three precious girls!
Thank you for your kind words.
We actually caught the dog as he was trapped in my yard😡 and we sent him to the pound. Some nearby neighbors that I do not know owned him and did not want him or the other husky they had… they belonged to their nephew and they apparently could not keep them contained and had previous complaints about them getting out. They were apologetic and said they would replace my flock but I have no desire for that at the moment. I guess I could report a complaint with the police and have them pay anyway but I just don’t know. My friend actually called the police along with the pound the day it happened so they may have it on record. I am 99% sure that the pound put the dog down which I am relieved of because I was regretting not killing him on the spot but I was out of my mind in that moment 😞 and I would never want this to happen to anyone or their poor babies again!!!!

Did I mention that these gals are my remaining three from my first ever batch of chickens?! They are 5 and a half years old!! I am SO shocked that they are still here! I did lose Claire though.. she was one with them. And what I am more amazed at is that Kelly almost made it out unscathed! She is the silliest, nuttiest, dingy, weird chicken that I have ever seen and she and Maryn are my utmost favorite chickens of all time! I don’t know what I would have done if I saw them dead on the ground!! And Rosemary was bonus! I truly believe God spared them for me! They are what gives me joy in this time. My two leghorns survived unharmed.. they are 2 and a half years old. And I had 6 new ones this year and all but one of them survived. They all flew out of the yard! Well, one of them did not and she was the only chicken that was on the ground unharmed!! So I have 7 healthy ones outside and these three inside out of 23😞

said they would replace my flock but I have no desire for that at the moment.
Hm. Well I certainly understand you not wanting to replace your flock right now. But if you accept damages in the form of cash, you can replace them whenever you are ready. Now might be the time to accept the offer, since it's been made. Just a thought.

Ditto! Also, @WhoDatChick, just want to tell you we had a hen last year or so that got hurt in a dog attack way worse than your girls and by taking @Wyorp Rock 's advice she was healed in about a month. Chickens are amazingly tough and resilient. Hope yours are recovering nicely. And don't worry, they'll go outside again just fine. ❤️

Your girls look good with all you've been doing! It's emotional to manage tending their wounds and you should be really proud of your Doctoring!
To note - Vetericyn is not an antibiotic. It is the best product I've seen for wound care. But if you're managing infection, Triple Antibiotic in & around the wound - you shouldn't need both now.

What you might add to their feed is a product such as Kickin Chicken or Rooster Booster. These are formulated to give best vitamins for your girls.
Mix up Kickin Chicken with a little water and their feed to make watery oatmeal texture. They'll drink up the fluid on top which hydrates and boosts their system and the "mash" fills them up. Rooster Booster - I prefer the pellet top dressing, the liquid has a strong taste my hens don't always go for. The pellets can be sprinkled in with their feed.

Also, you might add a covered shelter area in their run that mimics your table-coop. That might help them get used to being outside again and give them a hiding area if they're nervous. You could use an old card table, 3-4 pallets, even 2 flat boards leaned together a-frame style. I've used Chewy boxes and 2x4's as a temporary hide out too.
Good luck - you seem to be on the right track and will have more years with your "friends" 😁

@WhoDatChick how are these Ladies doing?
They are doing great❤️ Kelly’s wounds are gone! Rosemary and Maryn are healing up nicely. Their feathers are growing back in too❤️
Today I took the divider out and let them all together… I think Kelly could go back out but I’m gonna wait a bit.. I’ll see. I took some pics two or three days ago, I will post them in a bit… they are on my phone.
Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement 🥰

Ditto! Also, @WhoDatChick, just want to tell you we had a hen last year or so that got hurt in a dog attack way worse than your girls and by taking @Wyorp Rock 's advice she was healed in about a month. Chickens are amazingly tough and resilient. Hope yours are recovering nicely. And don't worry, they'll go outside again just fine. ❤️
Thank you for being here as well! And the encouraging words ❤️

Back
Top Bottom