wound care how often to change dressing

jolenep

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 13, 2017
Found one of my pullets has a gaping wound about 2 inches wide and 1/2 inch deep and 3 inches long. Looks like a gash. Not sure how it happened as she was in
the barn coup and then some of the flock pecked at it because it was bloody but because I didn't notice it right away, it looks like it got dry and was not bleeding it is
on top of her body between the wings. I cleaned the wound with diluted peroxide and then colloidal silver, packed the wound with manuka honey and silver (bought)
telfa pad and some gauze and wrapped it with blue vetrap. She is now in the outside coop by herself. I would like to know when I need to change the dressing and
if I should use the gauze with the antibacterial ointment instead of the telfa non stick pad. thanks. Will she make it?

Found one of my pullets has a gaping wound about 2 inches wide and 1/2 inch deep and 3 inches long. Looks like a gash. Not sure how it happened as she was in
the barn coup and then some of the flock pecked at it because it was bloody but because I didn't notice it right away, it looks like it got dry and was not bleeding it is
on top of her body between the wings. I cleaned the wound with diluted peroxide and then colloidal silver, packed the wound with manuka honey and silver (bought)
telfa pad and some gauze and wrapped it with blue vetrap. She is now in the outside coop by herself. I would like to know when I need to change the dressing and
if I should use the gauze with the antibacterial ointment instead of the telfa non stick pad. thanks. Will she make it?
Just saw that you haven't had any replies yet. How is she doing now? Chickens bounce back very well from worse injuries than this. I am sure she has a good chance of pulling through as long as you can prevent infection and keep her from messing with it. As far as changing bandages, I'm not sure how often you're *supposed* to do it. In my experience it usually gets changed whenever the chicken manages to escape her bandage... Which happens a lot lol...

Back
Top Bottom